Bamamav's 1947 Lincoln Club Coupe build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you keep up with any of my other threads, you know I had a bit of a problem on my Tupelo MS trip back in May. A partial loss of brakes, a clunking from the rear end and a bad vibration led to replacing the rear axle bearings, changing the chunk out for a 3:00 gear set from a Maverick, taking out the residual pressure valves from the brake lines, some serious brake adjusting and bleeding, as well as cutting and rewelding the driveshaft that the previous builder put together out of phase. Now I have good brakes again, and most of the vibration is gone, but still think I am going to have a new driveshaft built and balanced to get rid of that last bit of vibration.

While I was under there, I found out the wishbone ball drop that I had made had broken. It literally came out in pieces.

I found a piece of flat steel I had laying around that was about three times as thick, cut it and welded some tabs on to stop any forward or rearward movement, and bolted it up in the original holes with two grade 8 bolts. Can't see them, but there are two thick wall spacers between the top of the flat plate and the original wishbone upper mounting surface. I don't think this one will flex like the old one did, time will tell.

That squared away, I installed my new overload shocks on the rear. I had to cut one coil off to get them to sit where I wanted. Drives much better now, doesn't wallow as bad, just need to find some shocks for the front now.

Lastly, I installed a brake light switch from a 60's Chevelle and did away with the pressure switch I had been using. Also added a light pedal return spring to make sure the brake lights went off every time.

Now we can see behind

The door mirror on this car has bugged me since I got it running. It is a GM mirror of some sorts, and was held on with a single wood screw. Yes, a wood screw. It didn't move around, but was not out far enough, the car body sweeps out wider in the center with the widest point being about the rear of the door, you could only use about half the mirror, and if you needed to use it to back up you had to move it downward to see the rear. I found a set of swan neck mirrors on eBay that looked like they would work better, so I bit the bullet and bought them, $38.00 for the set. Here's what welcomed me when I took the old mirror off--three holes. You say, but they're four holes there, yes, I was able to use one of the other holes and drill one more, and the mirror base covered one, leaving one open.

Here's the difference in arm length in the GM mirror and the swan neck

Here is the drivers side installed

You will notice I used a carriage head stainless bolt to fill the other hole for now. Will weld the hole up when I start bodywork.

Now on to the other side....

I really hated to drill the door, but had to if I wanted a mirror there. I measured three times, marked and drilled.

It took two holes because the mirror has two studs to prevent it from twisting.

Passenger mirror mounted

I think they really flow with the car better than modern mirrors do, plus they stick out far enough to see without looking like a set of towing mirrors.

Probably took 1 1/2 hours or more to put them on, had to pull the door panels plus the drilling. I wish I could have used the rearmost hole on the drivers door, but that would have left two holes to fill up front, so I went to the front with them. Not a bad investment, less than $50 and I can now back into a parking space with out having a huge blind spot.

Thanks guys! [cl A lot of people had their doubts about the car, and my sanity, when I got it. I could see through the bad though, and have a vision of what I want it to be, it just takes time, money, and hard work. It's slowly getting there, some of the things I want now I'm going to have to save up for, but will be worth it in the end. Unless somebody offers me stupid money for it, it's got a home for a long time right here.....

Can't believe I haven't updated this since July, but then again, I haven't done much to it, haven't even got to drive it since November. Today, I started to get it ready for show season.

I dodged a bullet today.

Yep, dodged a bullet today for sure. Started cleaning up the Lincoln for the season today. Last time I did anything under the hood, I noticed that if I moved the air cleaner, it would idle up. Got to checking it closer today, and noticed the upper body of the carb was moving! I thought the air cleaner was rubbing the linkage or something. Pulled the carb off, lying on the gasket was a small screw. These Rochester two jet two barrels have three screws holding the base plate to the carb body, two are outside of the carb, one is between the bores. The single inside one had fell completely out, and was on the gasket. I think it actually got wedged there when it came out. When I put it back in, I put some blue Loctite on all three of them. All were a bit loose.

Went to a swap meet a couple of weeks ago, bought a bench seat style console/armrest and a two to four barrel carb adapter. Going to put my Edelbrock aluminum intake on shortly and use the two barrel Rochester with the adapter. Hey, it works great, so I can't see buying a new 4 bbl Holley right now, it's a cruiser, not a bruiser, lol.

Also vacuumed out a years worth of leaves and grass clippings. Holding off on washing until next week after the rains on Tuesday. Covered up in pine pollen right now. Show / cruise in season starts next Saturday!

Lincoln tear down begins!

For those that might have missed it, last time I drove the Lincoln, the transmission started slipping real badly. It has leaked since day one, so it's time to get it out and get it rebuilt. Only problem, both engine and trans has to come out, no way to pull from the bottom due to the factory crossmember being welded in. So, yesterday, I finally got it into the work area and started on it. I'm feeling it today....

Front seal is leaking a bit, so the underneath has gotten pretty nasty. Rear seal may be leaking, too.

Started taking stuff loose on topside

That black greasy box on the lower right is the steering box, it's going bye bye. Going to a power unit

The drivers side motor mount is in single shear, going to have to change that somehow.

Drives side top view

Passengers side mount is double shear

Still like trans linkage, a couple of sending units, and may have to cut passengers side exhaust head pipe, it won't drop off of the manifold, and not enough room to pull the manifold unless I cut the battery box off.
Rolled my engine crane up to it, was going to raise the engine enough to get the mount bolts out, but the boom is about 14" too short. Got a piece of 4" box tubing, going to make and extension for it. Going to raise engine up and slide it forward about 12", then take the extension off and pull it from the car. LOTS of cleanup to do before it goes back in!

Car looks good. Get that motor mount redone. I know its just a cruiser but that looks like the weak link under the hood. You going to tackle building the trans or take it to a shop? I have a couple I am going to open up and work on. I have built one th350 and it worked good. Now going to build another along with a 700R. Looks like you have your worked lined up for the rest of the year. Good luck and keep us posted [P

Taking it to a shop. I've never been into a trans before, and it's such a pain to get this one in and out I want it right the first time.
Will probably end up using a cradle on the front mounts.

The greasy pig is out!

Got back on the Lincoln today after grass cutting, some semi truck work, and adding some freon to the wife's AC. Already had almost everything loose, had to get the trans linkage off, oil pressure line, and water temp gauge line. This car is so long in the front, I had to add a 4" piece of 4" box tubing to just get it off the mounts and moved forward.

Couldn't use the extension to pull the motor, the rear of the lift was coming off the ground. Going to have to figure out something before I put it back in.

Didn't stop to take pics of it up in the air. Wanted to get it up, out, and on the floor asap! Only damaged one trans cooler line, it hung on the frame mount. Here's the greasy pig on the floor. Lot's of cleanup to do before it goes back in.

Latest posts

Back