Mini Muscle Car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Pro Tools bender and have tried to use the formula they give for the added length...apparently it's the new math which I don't understand[S

I have a borrowed (for 5 years now) JD2 manual ratchet type bender. There's no degree indicator on it. It does beautiful bends but I have to measure the bend degrees with a carpenter's protractor. JD2 recommends making a test bend and using it for a template. By making the template out of the same size and thickness it eliminates the need to calculate for stretch. Just lay the template on the tubing where you want the bend and mark it. It's so easy even a left handed Polish senior citizen can do it. Hah!

I ordered roll cage tubing yesterday and later was told it is back ordered for a week. Made this template for the main hoop out of 1/8" Masonite hard board.

Now, all I have to do is bend the tubing to match the template.:eek:

Yes, FV, the tubs worked out pretty good. I would have preferred to weld them on the inside, but I needed help to do that.

Roll cage material arrived at the steel yard yesterday so today I measured, measured, measured and finally bent the main hoop and the halo bar. The halo bar is way too long and will be trimmed to size.

Roll cage material arrived at the steel yard yesterday so today I measured, measured, measured and finally bent the main hoop and the halo bar. The halo bar is way too long and will be trimmed to size.

For a second I thought you were going to make one of these ;):

hqdefault.jpg

It's hard to take a pic inside a little car like this. But here is the halo bar tacked to the main hoop. It's also hard for an old boy like me to crawl around inside the car. I'm spending half the day on the Renault and the other half on the Bantam.

Have you seen the You Tube of that thing, snopro? Pretty funny.

It's hard to take a pic inside a little car like this. But here is the halo bar tacked to the main hoop. It's also hard for an old boy like me to crawl around inside the car. I'm spending half the day on the Renault and the other half on the Bantam.

Have you seen the You Tube of that thing, snopro? Pretty funny.

I sure did! It's amusing!

I can't wait to see how this car ends up! Do you ever build larger vehicles? [ddd

Ya half day on the Renault and half on the Bantam. I know you don't sleep so there has to be another build deep in the old shop for night hours.:rolleyes::eek:

Keep at it, we are all enjoying the builds.[cl[P:)

Got the hard part of the roll cage done. The main hoop, halo bar and the A pillar tubes are bent and welded in place. All that remains is the rear diagonals from the main hoop to the frame and the door bars. Both straight tubes. Only made one major mistake; the A pillar tubes run in the way of the inside door handles and won't close. they'll have to be moved.

No additional projects, Tom. I do have a lot of vintage sheet metal laying around though...

Oh, I forgot, there's a seat back tube and a dash bar to install too.

Say Bob, that cage looks like it will pass 7.50 - slower tech, May want a bigger motor to increase fun level. Nothing like a short WB & big motor old school hot rod. Keep up the great work. [cl[P:cool:

Latest posts

Back