What gears should I run

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

I need some advice for the 28 Dodge. The Hemi is running great, but makes it's power up a little ways in the rpms. I'm running an rh46 4speed transmission out of a 94 B250 van with stock lockup converter. The diff I'm running is a Ford 9" with posi and 3.00 gears. Tires are 29" tall. Mileage is awesome right now and I have no idea what top end is, but the bottom end sucks, without water there is no smoke show, the wife says that's okay but me not so much!!. I plan on changing the ratio in the future after our trip. I wanna keep decent mileage but be able to light em up when I want to. Is switching to a set of 3.50 gears going to get me there or should i be looking at a different ratio? I only want to do it once.

Thanks

I use a 3.50 gear with a 700r4 4 speed overdrive and about a 29.5 tire. Most 4 speed automatics have a pretty deep first gear. You can find a stock 3.50 diff pretty easily.

You'd be better off changing the torque converter to something like 2,500 to 2,800 stall. Great for off the line, burnout and when it hits overdrive it'll lock up and still give ya the mileage.
I'm running a 2,800 stall in my 37 with a 700r4, 3.00 rear end and I love it.

Great question Dozer. For me, smoke comes 1st. I run a T400 trans with 3.5 diff. I'm thinking big mopar burnout to celebrate retirement 😄

Latest posts

Back