It's official, I hung up my keys today!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

Been doing the part time thing since I semi retired last year, two or three days a week. Went out on a trip last Wednesday, unloaded Thursday morning, started back home. Got about 5 miles from where I delivered, truck started acting like it was dragging up a little hill. Started slowing down for a red light, truck suddenly died. Hit the starter button, nope, acted like the battery was dead. Since I was still rolling, tried popping the clutch in 5th gear, nope, tires just started jumping up and down. Apparently locked up. Light turned green, so I slowly coasted through it, fighting not having power steering anymore, managed to get it to the right turn lane. Nothing to do but call for a hook. Had it towed back to the Tuscaloosa yard and left it. Went down this morning and cleaned the truck out and told them I was now retired! I couldn't see buying another truck no more than I was working, so I decided to just give it up. Was planning on working to at least December, but the truck gave out before I did. Going to try and sell it to some Mexicans that buy old and broken down trucks from our fleet.

Been looking for this day for a while. Gonna take some getting used to being home all the time and no truck out there in the driveway. But I think I can manage! Plenty of stuff I need to do that has been let go too long. Here's a couple of pics, one of me and my long time dispatcher and friend, and another with the company president on the left, me, and operations manager on the right. Company president gave me a $250 YETI cooler, I thought that was pretty nice. 26 years + at the same company, pretty unheard of in the trucking industry

Attachments

• me and ant.jpg
    me and ant.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 34
  • jack, me, and Josh.jpg
    jack, me, and Josh.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 36
Adding my congrats. [cl

I guess the old truck was telling you something. In my case my years of manufacturing took a toll on my knees and other body parts. Same deal.

I did the retired while working part time thing but I realized that the money I was spending in gas driving to work can now stay in my wallet. (or make improvements on my ride).

Enjoy!:cool:

Sorry it was impromptu, but as others have said, it was a sign. You'll find that now you'll stay busier than when working for the man. Only now you will have more control over the projects at hand!
Congrats Bama!

Been looking for this day for a while. Gonna take some getting used to being home all the time and no truck out there in the driveway. But I think I can manage! Plenty of stuff I need to do that has been let go too long.

It would seem like you'd have nothing to do after you retire but I found the opposite... I have less time & keep pretty busy fixing stuff around the homestead & working on projects! Sometimes I wonder how I did everything I had to do & held down a full time job at the same time! Congrats & welcome to the club!!! [ddd

BoB

First week was busy! Went and cleaned out the truck Monday, too tired to empty the pickup that evening so did it Tuesday, took most of the day. Wednesday, went back and took off the headache rack and hauled it home, got a buddy going to buy it from me. Thursday, went to Birmingham and picked up the check from the guy I sold it to. Friday, pa in law and I went and bought us another tractor, a 240 Massey Ferguson with a front loader on it. Busted my trailer floor in three different places loading it! I knew the wood was bad, but damn, didn’t know it was that bad! Another thing added to the to do list! Saturday , wife and me took our cars to a show. Didn’t do anything yesterday, started bush hogging today.

Don’t know how I ever got anything done when I was working!

Latest posts

Back