Wiper ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
Looking for the best wiper setup to use in the 37 Packard. Nobody makes a specific kit of course.. I'm turned off with the cable drive universal kits like SPW, they are just too weak to move the wipers once it's all assembled, the tension of the wiper blades against the window causes the aluminum tube to pull out of the wiper transmissions or out of the drive unit. I know you can't have too tight a radius on the tubing or it makes too much resistance for the cable to move, even so, I've had trouble with them. Another beef is the lousy pot metal knurled knob that the wipers slip onto - to get them tight enough to stay in place, the tiny set screws easily strip out or the knob splits in half.
I'd like to go with a normal mechanical drive setup like Newport Engineering's Clean Wipe systems, but same thing no kit for the Packard. I called them for advice on a kit that might easily adapt to my car but they were no help at all, didn't want to even suggest one that is close.....
Original setup is similar to GM vehicles of the era with chain drive towers that stick up in front of the window, and arms below with linkage going to a vacuum motor. I don't have any of that stuff so I need a kit that has the motor, drive linkage and transmissions that protrude through the cowl, they need to have a bezel that fits the contour of the cowl or ones that can be reshaped to fit it.
Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

I've used the Mighty Wiper on a couple of cars. They're actually worthless as a real wiper but I hardly ever drive in bad weather & it helps pass inspection here in Tejas! On my current build I'll be getting antique plates & the State doesn't require inspection with that registration so I'll probably just use Rain X!

BoB

ZZ, with your mad skills, you can make anything fit anything and it will look factory installed.

I've used these on the last several builds and they've done pretty good

https://www.gearheadworld.com/store/Universal-Stainless-Wiper-Motor-Kit-w-Blade-PAIR-P1216.aspx

thumbnail.aspx

I've used the Mighty Wiper on a couple of cars. They're actually worthless as a real wiper but I hardly ever drive in bad weather & it helps pass inspection here in Tejas! On my current build I'll be getting antique plates & the State doesn't require inspection with that registration so I'll probably just use Rain X!

BoB

I've used Mighty wipers before on roadsters but don't want them hangin' out above the window or going all independently of each other...

ZZ, with your mad skills, you can make anything fit anything and it will look factory installed.

Yeh, but I'm getting lazy, i want an easy way out :eek:

Yes, the Chevy has very similar wiper tower/transmissions to the Packard - Newport has a kit but it's just the motor, no linkage and they assume you have the transmissions and linkage :mad: There are some NOS Packard transmissions out there but they are going for big dollars - I don't want to drop $1000.00 just to round up the parts...:confused:

attachment.php
Did you look at this link? Everything's there but the motor and a pair of blades...

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/8873/Chevrolet_Windshield_Wiper_Transmission.html

Jeez Doc, you must be psychic! I was just looking at that. Actually, I came up with another solution from Bob Drake for a 46 Ford that uses a simpler transmission needing just a round hole in the cowl. Also they have the motor to go with it. Still adds up to about $500 US though.... I may yet come up with a boneyard solution - on my Hennway I used a 78 Ford pickup assembly (mods required...)
attachment.php

Attachments

• 51A-17500_MED.jpg
    51A-17500_MED.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 11A-17508-E12_med.jpg
    11A-17508-E12_med.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 44
Jeez Doc, you must be psychic! I was just looking at that. Actually, I came up with another solution from Bob Drake for a 46 Ford that uses a simpler transmission needing just a round hole in the cowl. Also they have the motor to go with it. Still adds up to about $500 US though.... I may yet come up with a boneyard solution - on my Hennway I used a 78 Ford pickup assembly (mods required...)

They used to call me "Psycho". Does that count?

I hear ya on the cost... almost double by the time it gets to your door or mine.

I have the complete (original) wiper assembly in my '38 project and we have most of it for the '37 coupe... even so, we'd like to find a donor system for both cars. If you find such a thing for your Packard, please post it here or in your build thread. If we find such a thing, I'll do the same...

As a regular at Chevs of 40's as well as Eckler and National Chevy, I sometimes look at the alternatives for having wipers, which I don't. So the links are interesting.

My vacs are shot, the cables under the dash are dangling, car looks better without wipers imho...and no inspections in Fla. I try to avoid rain in my car meet up travels.

But this is the time of year in Florida when sudden storms pop up out of nowhere, are small, move fast, and I discovered for the most part the RainX works. Some of these storms are torrential with hail. The under the overpass trick is my emergency alternative. Hang out with the bikers.

I used the rear window wiper from a Montana van for my Thriftmaster. I too just couldn't bring myself to spend the $$$ on an aftermarket one. It took some screwing around to get the length and positioning of the activation arm right, but now I have pulse and one speed - a buddy gave me the motor, but even at pic n save it would only have been a total investment of $15. The biggest problem is that they have to move in opposite directions, similar to the Packard I think?

Here's a fleeting thought... marine salvage.

When I worked for Interior Fiberglass/Malibu, quality was job 1 and therefore, quality components throughout. Malibu's mighty 2300 had two self contained wipers, probably worth $500 each today, but if you could find them used... ???

Attachments

• malibu 2300 25ft.jpg
    malibu 2300 25ft.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 9
  • malibu 2300 9.5 beam.jpg
    malibu 2300 9.5 beam.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 9
That is an interesting one, I'll look into it - thanks!

As a regular at Chevs of 40's as well as Eckler and National Chevy, I sometimes look at the alternatives for having wipers, which I don't. So the links are interesting.

My vacs are shot, the cables under the dash are dangling, car looks better without wipers imho...and no inspections in Fla. I try to avoid rain in my car meet up travels.

But this is the time of year in Florida when sudden storms pop up out of nowhere, are small, move fast, and I discovered for the most part the RainX works. Some of these storms are torrential with hail. The under the overpass trick is my emergency alternative. Hang out with the bikers.
This car will need a safety inspection before licencing so it's gotta have em' - RainX won't get a pass :(

I used the rear window wiper from a Montana van for my Thriftmaster. I too just couldn't bring myself to spend the $$$ on an aftermarket one. It took some screwing around to get the length and positioning of the activation arm right, but now I have pulse and one speed - a buddy gave me the motor, but even at pic n save it would only have been a total investment of $15. The biggest problem is that they have to move in opposite directions, similar to the Packard I think?

Well, they don't have to go opposite directions but it would look more traditional if they did...

Here's a fleeting thought... marine salvage.

When I worked for Interior Fiberglass/Malibu, quality was job 1 and therefore, quality components throughout. Malibu's mighty 2300 had two self contained wipers, probably worth $500 each today, but if you could find them used... ???

I did see a boat motor drive on ebay or somewhere, neat piece, waterproof and all but it was pricey, as usual... A buddy of mine once said of his boat - "it's a hole in the water that you throw money into.."

Last edited:
I did see a boat motor drive on ebay or somewhere, neat piece, waterproof and all but it was pricey, as usual... A buddy of mine once said of his boat - "it's a hole in the water that you throw money into.."

In your neck of the woods, I've seen plenty of derelict vessels and I'd "think" you could score a couple wiper units on the cheap. (???)

I agree with your buddy. I've sunk a few dollars into a few boats myself. :rolleyes:

The VW link OI provided: I had a look and I see they're BC based importers, which means Hongcouver, Langley, Surrey. (That's a good thing for your bottom line cost!) I also see the post to post width is 15.75" and the assembly requires some cowl depth. I'd be happy to know it fits your Packard and you also have the advantage of a flat windshield. (We don't, so the VW piece will not work for us, period.)

Thanks Doc. Of course it's out of stock.... same one is on Fleabay for about $400 CAN delivered . It would still need to be widened about 5" and the motor hangs down quite a bit...

Latest posts

Back