spindles and kingpins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOWANDRATY

If I cut the top off of my king pin will this hurt anything, and if I grind down the the orignal hole for the steering arm on the top boss, will this weaken the spindle any ?? I need the hole gone so I can mount my steering arms, and that big round thing on top of the kingpin just looks funny and I dont know why I would need it there.

Attachments

• P1050746.jpg
    P1050746.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 86
What you have there are Model A spindles. Honestly the best thing you can do is to remove them and sell them to a restorer. When putting together a front end you should always replace the kingpins and bushings anyways, so take this as an opportunity for learning and improvement. Get yourself a set of '37-'48 spindles and the corresponding kingpin kit. They are MUCH stronger and safer than the Model A spindles, plus they will work properly with your steering arm and a hydraulic brake setup (or discs if you prefer). Steering, suspension and braking are never a place to cut corners, so spend a little now to get the proper parts and you will be much better off in the end...

Yes, you can cut that stuff off. Do a nice job,
and nobody will ever know.

There are adapters available to fit later brakes on early spindles.

Late spindles

I did not want to get into this front end because it is ( rebuilt ) I was told it had new bushings and kingpins in it when I bought it, I do have a set of late spindles, but I will have to cut the arms of of them also, to mount all of my steering arms, I need to run the spring behind the axel to get it low enough, and front steering, I guess I could use the late spindles with the arms facing forward and just cut off the extra hole on the one arm, but I would have to run the steering arm from my steering box to the bottom of the left spindle, I have never seen that done but I guess it would work if I could keep the angle right so I would get no bump steer.
I WAS THINGING UPSIDE DOWN, after looking again I see the stock arms would be on the bottom, DUH

Attachments

• P1050822.jpg
    P1050822.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 28
  • P1050824.jpg
    P1050824.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 17
  • P1050827.jpg
    P1050827.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 20
  • P1050828.jpg
    P1050828.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
mine are facing foward, yes the ackerman is not ideal, but i think it will be fine. if you put your arms out front and grind off the draglink hole with care, you can bolt on an aftermarket upper steering are for your dragling to bolt to. then you can keep the 7* taper to run tie rod ends, or you can drill our your spindles for 5/8" heims. i drilled mine and ordered a 5/8" upper arm from speedway.

Latest posts

Back