53 chevrolet truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOWANDRATY

I have a 53 chevy truck, has any one here put a 53 cab on a 4wd chevy chassis, what year worked good, ect. ect. I need a 4wd truck but I am not and will not pay the money they want for a nice new truck, I figure the 53 will look better than a new one anyway.

I haven't done it, but I think you'll find that the front end sheet metal will be a challenge. Most full size modern trucks have a track that puts the front tires in contact with fenders.

S-10's are much narrower. I think the track width would work OK with wider tires and wheels, but you'll need to pay attention to the wheel backset.

The '53 depends on its frame for fender/ grille/ rad support/ hood alignment -all of which is nearly impossible to get right even with the original frame. If I was putting the '53 on another frame, I would build a substructure for the front sheet metal and maybe make a tilt front.

Change the '53 body mounts to something that will actually attach the cab to the frame - the rear shackle thing is not required with a more modern, stiffer frame and the 2 front bolts don't do much.

Loose the wooden block bed mounts -rebuild the bed and mount it like a modern bed.

I think it would be a great project.

Okay, a couple of different approaches to this I've seen around the 'Web...

First off-If your mind is made up to use a full-size (C1500) GM 4x4 truck chassis, then use the front clip off of a 1 1/2 or 2 ton Advance Design truck. The fenders are WIDER and will easily handle the extra track width.

Second-If you don't mind using a COMPACT truck for a chassis, then consider using the S-10/S-15 4x4. The front track width is nearly identical to the stock 1/2 ton Advance Design truck, though the 4x4 rear axle assembly is too skinny and will sink the rear tires in under the rear fenders. You might consider swapping the rear axle out for one from a Camaro or Firebird from the late '70's as they are the correct width for an Advance Design. Just be sure to get it re-geared to match the gearing in the front diff!

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Shea:)

Shea is right, the bigger 1 1/2 and up AD trucks have wider and longer front ends. The grille, hood, front valence, and fenders are all bigger and fit together as a set - no mix and match with the 3100 stuff (I tried).

They would be wide enough for a full size 4 x 4.

The S-10 4 x 4 rear is too narrow for the AD. I think the S-10 2 x 4's are wider, maybe wide enough.

Thanks for the info about the full size truck not working with the front sheet metal, when I bought the 53 I was going to put it on a 2wd s10 frame, low to the ground, but after this winter with all the snow here, now I want to make it a 4wd, that way we will never get snow again, LOL, so im looking around tonight and I found a s10 4wd for $500 the rear axle could be changed or maybe just use some wide rear wheels with 2" backspacing, the 53 has no bed on it so I will have to build a bed anyway, too many choices.
I gotta finish the 30 chevy first, dont I ??????

The 4WD S-10 rear end is about 4" wider than a 2WD rear end. I just put one in my '40 Plymouth truck.

You could channel the '53 over the S-15 frame without losing ground clearance. Build the bed to fit the axle.

4x4 '53 Chevy, chopped, and channeled, slotted Halibrand bead locks; put some wide whites on some 40s. Maybe a blown 455 Nail head.

Sounds like you need to get started to keep the snow at bay for next year.

Kenny...I do have an extra '50 Chevy cab, doors, hood, etc. here, (no frame), that I will make you a hell-of-a-good deal on, when you come pick up the shoebox!!...that way, you don't have to take apart your '53...

Randy the 53 I have now I have a s10 2wd for it but after all the snow this year im kinda thinking a 4wd will be better suited just in case we get more in the future, hmmmmmm 2 53s 1 jacked up 4wd and 1 low 2wd ?????? both painted flat black, that would confuse everyone everytime they saw me in the other truck, they would ask how did you lower that 4wd or why did you rasie that 2wd, fun stuff, keep em guessing

hmmmmmm 2 53s 1 jacked up 4wd and 1 low 2wd ?????? both painted flat black, that would confuse everyone everytime they saw me in the other truck, they would ask how did you lower that 4wd or why did you rasie that 2wd, fun stuff, keep em guessing

Most of us would just use air bags to adjust ride height lol :D

Latest posts

Back