Manual tranny swap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daman

I have a guy that is selling everything from his 91-92 4.3 S10. I want to use the 5 speed/ hydraulic cluth in it behind my 350. This is no high horse animal.
I know they will bolt up but I heard there are problems with the flywheel fitment. Does anyone know if I'm going to have to buy a $400 flywheel to make it fit? I always thought the 4.3 had the same flywheel bolts as the small blocks

Yes they will...

4.3 is actually heavier than the 350 flywheel so might hamper torque on the V8 but not enough to worry about.....or so I've been told....

It depends which 350 you have. The 4.3 uses the same crank flange as Figure C '86 and up.

The earlier flange is different (both in shape and dimensions) and will not accept the 4.3 flywheel.

faq-ch2.jpg

Ok doc.....you are correct...

I assume too much.....yes...not the early ones......once again you've bested me.....LOL... The Doctor is IN THE HOUSE!!!!

Thanks Dr. Mines the older style 2 piece rear main.

This, all of the sudden, is turning into an expensive swap.[S

I already have a flywheel for the older engine. I wonder if the clutch and pressure plate from the 4.3 will fit. I need to get these parts and just start bolting up checking fitment

later s10 on early 350

the 92 s10 used an 11" clutch 10 spline. A 1980 c10 350 used an 11-7/8" clutch 10 spline. They both use the same pilot bearing, and both disc have the same size spline 1-1/8" so in theory you can use the 350 flywheel, and clutch and the big pressure plate and small s10 disc. You can buy a early flywheel new from napa for $110.00
I hope this helps,

Thanks. I should be trying it out this afternoon when we get it all pulled

Latest posts

Back