front suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepend94

New to old cars/rat rods, just picked up a 54 Bel Air and wanted to see what the consensus was for front suspension/disc brakes. I'm mulling a mustang II set up, just didn't know if it was worth it or not. If anybody has had success doing something completely different or even just making changes to the factory setup. Thanks in advance for any advice for the newbie

Speedway 49-54 MII crossmember kit
91034427_L_1699dfea.jpg

I'd say it would be pretty sweet to convert the front end to MII...

54 Chevy

You may want to check with Fatman and see if they offer a service of rebuilding your control arms and installing ball joints so you can run 70's Chevy spindles and brakes, then change it over to rack and pinion steering, no frame cutting, no welding.
If they do, you will save hours of labor and maybe 100's of $

Speedway sells disc brakes for use with the 49-54 Chevy spindles.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1949-54-Chevy-Passenger-Car-Disc-Brake-Kit,74072.html

If money is a little tight, you could get the discs and run the factory suspension. A Mustang II set up is nice and easy enough, with a lot of options for control arms and drop spindles....
there are options, just look at what you can afford and you feel comfortable doing with your mechanical abilities.

Thanks to all of you for the info and help. Researching to do the right thing is an uphill battle, so hearing from guys with knowledge helps a lot. Im sure Ill have plenty more questions in the future, so please bear with me. lol

We offer pretty much the same kit as Speedway. Ours converts to a 5 lug 4 3/4" bolt pattern. We sell it for $249.00 plus shipping

Latest posts

Back