If you've got time to waste...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05snopro440

I somehow ran across this on another forum I've only been on once or twice. The guy was asking for engine help but knew better... :eek:

Anyways, if you've got some time to waste, you should watch this video and read this thread. It's 20 minutes you'll shake your head and won't believe it. Be sure to read the captions. I think this guy is serious... :confused:

Toyota "race truck" Youtube "Build" video
350 SBC Issues Thread

I somehow ran across this on another forum I've only been on once or twice. The guy was asking for engine help but knew better... :eek:

Anyways, if you've got some time to waste, you should watch this video and read this thread. It's 20 minutes you'll shake your head and won't believe it. Be sure to read the captions. I think this guy is serious... :confused:

Toyota "race truck" Youtube "Build" video
350 SBC Issues Thread
HMMM
looks like heartache is right around the corner for that kid.
i think he is for real.[S

Yep, first time he loaded the engine it threw another rod.

Plus he was trying to test start it loose on the ground sitting on the oilpan...

He cut 2 different driveshafts and welded them together, and bondoed over cardboard on his front bumper. That's just scary.

Then again, we all know people who have bought stuff like that or have seen scary stuff at cruise nights or shows.

If you have time to waste

Yep that's it, I just wasted 20 minutes today, Thanks. Some people will never learn. BTW, anyone got an extra rod bearing I can have, it don't matter what size I will just hammer it in and grind it down to make it fit. LOL.

Starting it on the ground I understand, but I would have at least used a ratchet strap and put headers on it so not to burn a valve lol. I've started them on regular engine stands before and it worked fine. I have never used a grinder on internal engine parts before and I dang sure always use the proper sized parts.

All in all, a pretty entertaining 20 minutes, although I did fast forward about 8 minutes lol.

I've tried a lot of half-a$$ stuff just to get by for a awhile, but this is just sad. "I JUST WANT TO RACE" - huh? You'd kill yourself or somebody else in 2 minutes.

That brings back so many memories...memories of why I hate small block chevys, always an idiots favorite engine and then after they have it all screwed up they drag them to a shop with the meatgrinder fan that sticks up above the radiator, bent flywheel, bolts missing, timing way off. On and on. Seen that same rig a thousand times.

Jeez... and I like the fuel can "below" the carb with no pump between.

Yeah, no kidding, and he couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. I would have liked to see the oil pressure gauge when he did get it started with the mismatched bearing sizes... Still not sure though how apparently he claimed to use 0.020" under bearings with a 0.010" under crank :confused: I'm assuming they were standard bearings originally.

I also can't figure out how he's claiming to have a '69 Camaro block when he got it from an '89.

With the amount of times it went in and out and came apart....that boy needs to invest in zippers and velcro!! The precision grinder machining was a nice touch though.

Well, there is 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back ! (Actually 16 minutes, I fast forwarded through some of it :D) The last few seconds made it all worthwhile though. Loved the shift linkage, he may not be a mechanic but he is a heck of a fabricator !!

The weird thing is, I have known people who are shadetree like this guy and they do stuff than makes you shake your head, but somehow their projects seem to finally run. I had a friend when I was a teen who used pieces of 2 x 4 lumber for engine spacers to put a hemi in an old Ford. Every time he got on it the wood would break.

I bet the dogs were saying "How did we end up in this dumba***** house ??? Take me to the pound, please:(

Don

Yep that's it, I just wasted 20 minutes today, Thanks.

Well, there is 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back ! (Actually 16 minutes, I fast forwarded through some of it :D) The last few seconds made it all worthwhile though.

You were warned, I accept no responsibility [ddd

Don, I agree that the end made it worthwhile.

As you mentioned it's funny that some people can do shady things and have something that runs, while others can do things perfectly and stuff have issues. I'm glad this thing isn't currently running, seems like a lot of safety hazards to me. That shift linkage... :eek:

Well, there is 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back ! (Actually 16 minutes, I fast forwarded through some of it :D) The last few seconds made it all worthwhile though. Loved the shift linkage, he may not be a mechanic but he is a heck of a fabricator !!

The weird thing is, I have known people who are shadetree like this guy and they do stuff than makes you shake your head, but somehow their projects seem to finally run. I had a friend when I was a teen who used pieces of 2 x 4 lumber for engine spacers to put a hemi in an old Ford. Every time he got on it the wood would break.

I bet the dogs were saying "How did we end up in this dumba***** house ??? Take me to the pound, please:(

Don

Haha, Don that reminded me of the first "hotrod" I built when I was 15. I thought I could bolt the rear end to the leaf springs with 2x4s and reddi-bolt. Didn't take long to re-engineer that!!

Latest posts

Back