A RPU of my own!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'll need to start a build thread soon. I have been slowly acquiring parts for the last while, more over the last year. I have my frame boxing plates and a bunch of other stuff for it.

Yesterday was my birthday, and my employer gives us our birthday off. I went to my local speed shop, which was formerly branded So-Cal Speed shop and still carries So-Cal stuff. I was going back and forth on what axle to buy (Speedway, Pete and Jakes, So-Cal), and ended up pulling the trigger on a full front end from So-Cal. They're not the cheapest but it's a nice forged axle and good parts, GM brakes and calipers, hairpins, etc.

I wanted a forged axle for safety, and since I planning on buying the vehicle once, I went with the slightly more expensive option so I don't ever have to question whether I should have upgraded.

And away you go, Snopro. I've been waiting for this build, ------ semi patiently.
It sounds like Murray King sold out, eh?

I've been trying to find a rear end, and I need to get the engine from my dad and tear it apart to find out what it needs. I'm getting closer and closer to having all the parts I want to start actually building and go full speed ahead. For instance I want to have my radiator before I start mocking up the engine, because it will be thicker than stock and I want to limit my firewall intrusion. I need the rear end before I can get my ladder bars and the correct width lowered rear spring. I have the engine and trans.

I've been silently stockpiling parts, and now that I have a place at home to build, I'm stockpiling a lot more quickly and getting excited to start.

Murray is still there. He changed the name of the parts side from So-Cal Speed Shop Canada to Kustom King Parts. He has all the same stuff as he did before and most of it is So-Cal still. He gave me a tour of the shop after I bought my stuff, they're working on some cool stuff.

Last edited:
Wow, can’t believe I missed this one! Looks like a great start! I’m with Smalls, you don’t find much that complete in my area for less than $10000.

What engine and trans are you planning on running? IIRC, a Maverick or Granada rear is the right width, if you can find one. I think a Explorer 8.8 is close, too, and might be easier to find.

Wow, can’t believe I missed this one! Looks like a great start! I’m with Smalls, you don’t find much that complete in my area for less than $10000.

What engine and trans are you planning on running? IIRC, a Maverick or Granada rear is the right width, if you can find one. I think a Explorer 8.8 is close, too, and might be easier to find.

Well, I am thoroughly a GM guy. It's getting a 283 small block Chevy and will have a healthy rumble, I think it's going to get a 700R4 and I'm searching for a 2wd S10 rear end in 3.42 or 3.73. The S10 gives me the width and bolt pattern I want, plus I've got 2 others in vehicles so common parts are nice.

My plan for the truck is early hot rod style with some modern touches. The least intrusion into the firewall for a newer V8 in terms of engine length will be the SBC, and going 283 gives me the nostalgia factor I'm after.

I like your plans. I went back to page 1 and took another look at the RPU. You've got plenty to work with.

Luckily I paid WAY less than that. If I was looking for one today, I'd be hard pressed to find anything at all.

When I first finished my 46 in 2013, I went to the Radium Hot Springs car show and a friend of mine from around there had a 28 Model A RPU for sale. I fell in love with the body shape. Unfortunately almost every panel on that truck needed rust repair even though it was complete and straight. The friend price was $4,500. I kind of brushed it aside that I "didn't need another car", then 2 years later I posted an ad on our local classifieds just checking to see if anything was out there locally as I couldn't get a 28/29 RPU out of my head. This guy emailed me, told me what he had, I went to see it, and agreed to buy it and didn't even negotiate on the price. The deal was too good! Now it has been sitting nearly 7 years waiting for me to be in the right spot to start. That spot will be this year!

I'm hoping I can acquire enough parts that I can make it a fairly quick build.

I always kinda dug these! :D[dr

BoB

Attachments

• rpu.jpg
    rpu.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 18
  • 30min.jpg
    30min.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 19
  • pinup.jpg
    pinup.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 19
Those are cool, Bob! I'm planning something a bit less radical... More along these lines in terms of the body configuration and stance.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Todd Gravelle 28 FordIMG_7211.jpg
    Todd Gravelle 28 FordIMG_7211.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Todd Gravelle 28 FordIMG_7281.jpg
    Todd Gravelle 28 FordIMG_7281.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Todd Gravelle 28 FordIMG_7169.jpg
    Todd Gravelle 28 FordIMG_7169.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Todd Gravelle 28 FordIMG_7132.jpg
    Todd Gravelle 28 FordIMG_7132.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Spring is here Colin, time to get 'er done :D You've got a great starting point, should just be a couple months, right?
I've been collecting parts too while I'm in Arizona and had time to mentally build and draw plans for a Rattish 20 something scratch built pickup along the lines of Bob W's pending Fargo build.
(Sorry, Bob for ripping off your idea:eek:) He's my hero for having so many builds on the go simultaneously, so I figure I can do the Packard Gasser and that one too. Getting home to B.C. next week, time to get busy - maybe we can both make it to Radium this year?
Charlie

Spring is here Colin, time to get 'er done :D You've got a great starting point, should just be a couple months, right?
I've been collecting parts too while I'm in Arizona and had time to mentally build and draw plans for a Rattish 20 something scratch built pickup along the lines of Bob W's pending Fargo build.
(Sorry, Bob for ripping off your idea:eek:) He's my hero for having so many builds on the go simultaneously, so I figure I can do the Packard Gasser and that one too. Getting home to B.C. next week, time to get busy - maybe we can both make it to Radium this year?
Charlie

Haha, thanks for the encouragement Charlie. I'll be happy if I can get mine started this year. A rolling chassis with the drivetrain installed would be success for me this year. It's a small truck, so it should be faster to build, right? I did already take cues from you on how you're approaching the Packard Gasser, I bought the good parts the first time and am continuing to.

I found a rear end this week, which I'll get soon and will be perfect to run a 15x8 rear wheel with meaty tires to fill the fenders up. Once I get it I can order my rear spring and ladder bars and get going on the chassis.

Latest posts

Back