51 Cambridge build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The things we learn the hard way, lol. I ended up taking the heater plenum under the dash completely apart to sort out how it worked, so now I have heat and defrost, sort of. With the blower just behind the grille and the heater core just behind the radiator core support it's got a long way to go before heat hits the passengers. I do plan to take apart, clean out and reseal the under hood sections, who knows what's inside there.

I added seat belts last weekend. That was labor intensive, but not hard. I ended up taking the back seat out completely, which was a real wrasslin' match. the rear side window trim and the rear interior side panels. Took about 5 hours to do the job, most of it figuring out what needed to come out and where to put the mounts.

How did you do the upper mounts? I've seen kits from places like Juliano's where you tack weld a plate in.

Last edited:
Nice car. I'm helping a guy( Via long distance calls and lots of texting) on another site Chop a 52 Cranbrook. The rear window set up on those are interesting.:eek:
Nice eye candy for the 6.:cool: :cool:
[P [P [P
Torchie

One more bit of bling before I pull the engine out.

Attachments

• Edgy top.jpg
    Edgy top.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 42
Started in on the dual TBI mockup. A couple pics to whet your appetite. The throttle bodies are based on Weber IDA's, 42mm bores matched the bores of the intake, 34 lb/hr injectors, Microsquirt controller.

Attachments

• mockup front.jpg
    mockup front.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Mockup rear.jpg
    Mockup rear.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 16
  • mockup side.jpg
    mockup side.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 19
Will do,

made the TB to intake adapters yesterday, spent today cleaning out the garage so I have room to work. Tomorrow I work on making the TPS mounting plate, PCV plumbing and splitting the fuel rail.

Link to the write on making them. http://www.im-creator.com/free/yourolddad/the-snipers-nest/tbi-adapters

A pic of the setup with the adapters done.

Attachments

• 20200408_124338.jpg
    20200408_124338.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 26
I didn't get to the EFI swap today, spent a solid 12 hours getting my Cuda mobile so I can use that side of the garage rather than have 2 tons of Plymouth up on jack stands like it's been for 15+ years.

Attachments

• roller.jpg
    roller.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 29
Well, I got busy yesterday.

On the Thickstun dual carb intake I made adapters to mount two Weber IDA based 42mm throttle bodies. 42mm was selected because it matched the bore size of the intake. The adapters are the black spacers between the intake and the throttle bodies, they are made out of 3/4" thick phenolic laminate. I tapped each adapter to fit up a connection for the PCV system also plan to add. I did this so that there would be no lean cylinder issue. In the crossover of the intake I also tapped in a fitting to supply a vacuum signal to the MAP sensor and the fuel pressure regulator. I had to split the supplied fuel rail as the original spacing would not work with my setup. I started in on the TPS sensor mount, but I need addition hardware to make it work. Since there was no air cleaner that I felt met the style of this swap and would bolt to the throttle bodies, I made my own. You can see the base plates mounted to the throttle bodies here. I haven't made the tops yet, but when I do I will update this thread. Linkage is a combination of what was supplied with the throttle bodies (lever on the left and the return spring) some 8mm shaft couplers, 8mm shaft and the black lever is from the linkage kit supplied with the intake. On the far right is where the TPS is going to be, you can see the mounting plate and temporary screw holding it in place. That's pretty much where I am at.

Attachments

• final mockup.jpg
    final mockup.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 29
  • PCV mockup.jpg
    PCV mockup.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 24
Thank you all, I am sort of going for the period look with this build. When I get the air cleaners done, darn shipping delays on the raw materials, you'll see.

I got a test fit rim today. Right now it sports stock 15 inchers with whatever radial is the stock equivalent. Yay, not. So I picked up a 17x7.5" steelie from a Crown Vic and if the actual rim fits like my tape measure says it should I'll get four more (spare too) and put a set of Moon Discs on them. Plan to run a set of 255/50r17's to maintain the speedometer reading. I have a trick to see if the suggested size tire works and clears everything, I take pics of it when I do the test fit, maybe tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back