Headliner

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUCKY DEVIL 13

Greasy Gearhead
Anyone have any ideas for a headliner in a 42 chevy truck?? The original was just 2 pieces of fiber board but I would like a one piece headliner

make a pattern....cut out the material you want...

Anyone have any ideas for a headliner in a 42 chevy truck?? The original was just 2 pieces of fiber board but I would like a one piece headliner

glue it on and slap it up there!!! Seriously....I've seen them made from nearly everything....sheets, blankets, patch work blue jean material.... and a host of others....LD you are an extremely broad thinker.....what's rattling around in that beady little mind????? [S

glue it on and slap it up there!!! Seriously....I've seen them made from nearly everything....sheets, blankets, patch work blue jean material.... and a host of others....LD you are an extremely broad thinker.....what's rattling around in that beady little mind????? [S

I know my brain has been a little off since the dentist on friday I guess the pain meds are screwin it up lol I am sure I will figure something out

can you fab up some light fiberboard or luan?

I know my brain has been a little off since the dentist on friday I guess the pain meds are screwin it up lol I am sure I will figure something out

sorry about the dentist....I was just screwin with ya....

Not sure what the shape is you're trying to cover and if it's to cover the entire roof inside or just the middle section.... either way, something light and flexible and then go crazy with the fabric... I snagged a couple of mexican blankets while I was in AZ last week....(there's no "made in china" tags so they might be real).lol..... I think that would be a bit heavy... how about the better half....does she sew?? maybe she could cut up a few of those fox stoles of her's and really dress it up!!:D

sorry about the dentist....I was just screwin with ya....

Not sure what the shape is you're trying to cover and if it's to cover the entire roof inside or just the middle section.... either way, something light and flexible and then go crazy with the fabric... I snagged a couple of mexican blankets while I was in AZ last week....(there's no "made in china" tags so they might be real).lol..... I think that would be a bit heavy... how about the better half....does she sew?? maybe she could cut up a few of those fox stoles of her's and really dress it up!!:D

Yeah the dentist was a nessecary evil but I am glad to finally have it done :)

I know I am pretty easy going bro ;)

I want to do the whole roof was tryin to think of a way I could make a fiberglass piece that could get screwed in and then I could cover that with whatever I decide on but not sure how I could go about that part yet still thinkin :)

Yeah the dentist was a nessecary evil but I am glad to finally have it done :)

I know I am pretty easy going bro ;)

I want to do the whole roof was tryin to think of a way I could make a fiberglass piece that could get screwed in and then I could cover that with whatever I decide on but not sure how I could go about that part yet still thinkin :)

If ya only had another roof you could turn it upside down,coat it with mold release and sling fiberglass till your itchy all over:D Would make a slick headliner though..

If ya only had another roof you could turn it upside down,coat it with mold release and sling fiberglass till your itchy all over:D Would make a slick headliner though..

I know right!! I was thinkin the same thing!! if I could find a cab for cheap I could get it roll it over and do it that way then sell the cab again lol

You got any truck and semi junkyards nearby. Hell some of the old conventional cab semis had some nice headliners. Even better if you could find an old sleeper cab. Pull out the panels and cut to size. Found one here for a 65 Chevy pickup,already button and tucked.Worked good,hell even had enough to do the door panel inserts.Sold the truck and guy still has the truck and stuff still looks good. :cool:

You got any truck and semi junkyards nearby. Hell some of the old conventional cab semis had some nice headliners. Even better if you could find an old sleeper cab. Pull out the panels and cut to size. Found one here for a 65 Chevy pickup,already button and tucked.Worked good,hell even had enough to do the door panel inserts.Sold the truck and guy still has the truck and stuff still looks good. :cool:

Right on I may have to look into that :) Thanx!!!

headliner

If you do find some of the old semis check out the guage panels,some of them are pretty nice. Heck I took 2 of the metal bulllit shape cab clearance lites,dipped the lenses in red dye and used them for tail lights. Lots of usable parts on them.:cool:

If you do find some of the old semis check out the guage panels,some of them are pretty nice. Heck I took 2 of the metal bulllit shape cab clearance lites,dipped the lenses in red dye and used them for tail lights. Lots of usable parts on them.:cool:

Right on!! Thanx for the tip!!!

dangit, he's smart

crossfire, great idea on the lights.
i "harvested" about 5 yards of genuine leather from a couch (i'm a trash man) that im gonna use for seat pads on homemade bomber seats, maybe i will do the headliner with the leftovers. my neighbor has an upholstery sewing machine, and my mama made sure my brother and i could sew ... never know when a button will pop off ......

Crossfire, Lowes sells some very thin PVC board....4 X 8 sheets. After you cut it out, you can heat it with a heat gun and mold or bend it in a crown to fit the roof of your cab. And it's fairly cheap....20-30 bucks.

And there is enought to mess up a couple of times. LOL

If ya don't like that, conversion vans (junkyard) have huge lightweight headliners already made in them. Some in very nice material.

Lynn

Crossfire, Lowes sells some very thin PVC board....4 X 8 sheets. After you cut it out, you can heat it with a heat gun and mold or bend it in a crown to fit the roof of your cab. And it's fairly cheap....20-30 bucks.

And there is enought to mess up a couple of times. LOL

If ya don't like that, conversion vans (junkyard) have huge lightweight headliners already made in them. Some in very nice material.

Lynn

Killer!! Thanx!!

What I did was take cardboard and foam board. Cut the card board to shape. Then whatever design i wanted in the foam board. spray glue them together. let it dry, then spray glue a heavy cloth over it. Pop it it.

Try a piece of heavy duty dense foam about 1/2 thick. Get it to fit then glue your material on it.

Lungs

Latest posts

Back