Work Bench Extension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
Had this idea a little while ago. Finally decided to put it to use. Picked up a sleeve from Tractor supply that is supposed to go in a hitch. 1/4" thick 2" I.D. Welded it to the bottom of my work bench/ tool cart. Now using 2" square tube I am making "receivers" to fit in the sleeve to hold different items, bead roller, tube bender, mini english wheel, planishing hammer, etc. So far it works out Great!! Must say it is one of my best ideas yet!! Plus for the person with limited floor space, you don't need all those big stands taking up valuable real estate.....

2012-01-13_11-39-49_791.jpg

I am pretty proud of it. The sleeve is $12 at Tractor supply, or you can get the more fancy one for $20 but I decided not to since it is going to just hang out there. Then you can just use a 5/8 bolt or an actual pin to hold in the tools. I figure it is good for anything, vise, grinder, any bench mount tool that you don't want on the bench all the time.

If you cleaned all the crap off your bench you wouldn't need an extension. ;)

:D

That is exactly the reason we are slowly getting rid of any flat surface in our shop.........they become convenient places to lay things down. :eek: No matter if it is a table, chair, drill press table, or what, they become catchalls.

But I do like the extension you made, very good idea.

Don

that is a great idea, was thinking of were to put my bench grinder and the wheels on my chop saw stand are toast, this is going to be great.:rolleyes:

Why not???

I did the same thing when building my beater stand so I could use different anvils that were mounted on square tubing.

I need to invent a spring loaded workbench top that flips up when not in use so it isn't a catchall.[S

Like a drop leaf table...lift it when you need it...drop it when you don't...
heavy hinges...nothing fancy.... could even do drop down legs...sounds do-able to me.... nice Idea CD....

That's a good idea.
But I bet you just leave it up all the time, so you can load it full of junk like the rest of the workbench.... I would!

Don

That is exactly the reason we are slowly getting rid of any flat surface in our shop.........they become convenient places to lay things down. :eek:

When I planned my last shop I had loads of bench space pencilled, and a colleague advised me to have one simple small workbench, because all the rest of the space simply fills with 'stuff'.

Of course, I wasn't going to let that happen to me...... :eek:

Have to decide where to put it so that it..

That's a good idea.
But I bet you just leave it up all the time, so you can load it full of junk like the rest of the workbench.... I would!

Don

wouldn't be advantagous to leave up.....it would be in the way....I have two large workbenches one on the south wall and one on the east wall...they about 12ft long.... then I have two roll around benchs..one SS steel and one that I call my sheet metal work area...both are on wheels and can be rolled wherever I need them....keeps the other areas less cluttered....or seems too..

Thought I would share with every one that I miss judged this a little bit, well more my bench than this add on. If loaded kind of heavy it puts a twist on the bench. It only started to twist when I had about 150lbs on it. The edge of mine is angle iron with a ply top. Need to run a reinforcement piece to the other side to stop the twist, going to put some 1x1 angle on each side to span to the other side of the bench. Guess I should have thought of that sooner, but oh well. Otherwise I am loving this little idea!!!

Latest posts

Back