Lifts, who's got'em?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim...Ok

Who's got lifts in their garage? Two post or four post and why? When I built my shop I put thicker concrete in the middle with
plans on putting in a 2 post lift next year..still leaning that way, but not sure if I want one of the floor plate models thats open
on top or the ones with the top bar..the floor plate models don't need quite as tall a ceiling as the others, mine should be very
close to 12' in the middle, but I haven't measured it to be sure..

as always on RRR, pictures are always welcome:D:D

Don't have one, but going to have one in the next couple of months. Looking at a 2 post Ammco, asymmetric,as it will allow me more clearance . I built my shop 20 years ago,and only have an 8' height, so my first project is to raise the rafters. I need 139".
Brian

I built my shop with scissor trusses, hoping I would have enough height for a lift. Sound familiar? (Yes, I read your build thread. :D) If memory serves me, I have 12' 4'' at the peak.

I bought a 4 post, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I use it constantly, including purposes it wasn't intended, motorcycles, engine lift, frame table, adjustable workbench, the list goes on.

Complaints?

- I wish it lifted 6'' higher. (I'm 6'3'', sometimes I could use more skull clearance).

- The deck is approx. 8'' too short for my 1 ton crewcab.

- I don't have enough ceiling height for tall or lifted trucks.

A couple pics. (Sorry my junk is in the way, but these are the best I can find).

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

I to have a 4 post.....Direct Lift from Greg Smiths Equipment

My barn was built with a 10ft ceiling.....not what I'd have done but I was told I could engineer the truss's to accomodate the lift area....not sure I want to mess with them.....I simply raise it until it's just below the roof and then use a rolling stool....I fit fine and it's comfortable....guess I'm getting lazy....

I have been considering one of the scissor type lifts just to get things up in the air a little ways, no room to raise much higher than that.:(

Watch for them on CL....

I have been considering one of the scissor type lifts just to get things up in the air a little ways, no room to raise much higher than that.:(

Buddy just got one off CL for 250....they work great and are good for a small area.....better than jack stands....usually sold by someone replacing it with a 2 or 4 post lift or moving....keep an eye or check with some local car guys, they might know someone who is trying to sell one.....

lifts

I've got a 2 post. It's an old one that the equalizer chain runs across the floor. pro's are you can work on wheels, brakes, axles,ect. con's Ihave to watch ceiling clearance, it is 11'9" to the ceiling. opening the doors and working in or getting in and out of a car or truck can be difficult. it is only 9'1" wide between the posts.An asymetrical would be better. The chain on the floor can be a pain when doing trans work. I put a sheet of ply wood or steel over it with spacers under it when using a tranny jack. I can't complain I only paid $500.00 for it.I hope this info helps. If I had the money I would probably buy a 10,000 pound asymetric with an open floor and cut my ceiling so I could stand it up between the trusses.

Got a BendPak 10k 4 post in storage, waiting on a building to put it in. Bought it used from and old employer bought 7 years ago. Will take up lots of room is the only down side. Be nice when I can finally use it.

I bought my wife a 12000 lb assymetric 2 post lift about 14 years ago from Worth Lift in Mansfield TX. It was her mothers day present. She really seems to enjoy using her lift. (NOT). But I do. Thisbliftdoes a good job for all types of lifting challangings.

PA172221.jpg

IMG_5032.jpg

PA172224.jpg

Even though I have a shop geared strictly toward racing, and getting more into street performance....I use the hell outta my 2 post lift.
Floor space in my shop is at a premium....I have the larger 2 post Bendpacks.
My guys are always using mine to change their oils and filters....its lifting something about 3 or 4 times a day....
I just bought a automatic tirechanger, so I can get my tires at Sams, bring em to the shop, when one of the guys ain't busy, they can mount them for me!
We're all the time mounting slicks and stuff....I got tired of taking them to someone else.
Next month, I gotta get a balancer....:rolleyes:.

I dont know how I made it without my 2 post Rotary lift. Plus my "helper" loves it.

Attachments

• 54 002.jpg
    54 002.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 54 014.jpg
    54 014.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 45
  • alison's phone 375.jpg
    alison's phone 375.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 47
10K Bend pak twin post. I bought it because it had only 4" pad height and still 10K capacity. That way I can lift truck and vettes on the same rig. Had it 5 years now and only had 1 bad fitting. I am thinking of doing an extended 4 post or scissor style alignment lift on the side where my steel frame plate is. This way I can lift the stuff I am welding to get underneath of it. The alignment rack give you more lock positions than regular lifts.

Got one, never put it in.

I have a lift. Mainly because of the deal I got on it. Currently it sits on the front of my trailer. Mainly because I have no other place for it currently. Need a taller shop. Its a scissor style lift that uses air bags. It is HEAVY as H3LL!!! Designed to sink in the concrete for you to drive over top of then lift. Fully operational once I run some air lines. Picked it up from a buddies buddy that was going to scrap it. Paid all of $75 for it!! May not be as fancy as everyone elses but it will lift about 4-5 feet, much better than only using one foot ramps!!

looks like most own 2 posts..I thickened the concrete in the middle of floor right in front of my big door in anticipation of installing a 2 post at some point..checked it last night, I've got 11ft 7 inches under the bottom peak of my scissor trusses..think I'll have to go with a floor plate model with that ceiling height.. will will keep digging on that..
thanks for the input,
Tim

I got this one new out of Texas $1850.00 and have been tickled to death with it 10,000 lb capacity ProV 10 asymmetrical :D
I'll never be without one again :eek:
IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

Sounds like a good deal Iron, if you wouldn't mind, could you pm me some details on where you got it..Would like to know the total height id it wouldn't be too much trouble..

My dad bought his Mohawk 2 post in 1992 ( when I was 12 ) and we still use it almost daily, pretty hard to work on anything without one after you have use one. A friend of mine bought a 4 four post 5 or 6 years ago and its okay to me, just used to the 2 post. They both have a lot of pros and cons that you will have to look at, it seems like most 2 post require 220 power and most 4 post only need 110 power. I also would say if you are buying new try and keep things over head, I know your height is tight, but anything on the floor just seems it get in the way or tripped over. Just my two cents....

Latest posts

Back