Lifts, who's got'em?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a two post symetric Grand that I bought used about 5 or 6 years ago. I do not know how I survived the previous 25 years without it! Best investment I ever made. As mentioned by many above, a little more head room would have been great, but it is what it is. I think I have about 11 feet of headroom, so I am not always able to walk or work underneath a car without bending over. I use a roll around mechanics seat for the odd time that I am underneath, but I find that I am mostly doing brakes, bearings and hubs, so I am not lifting to full height anyway.

Go for it, you will not regret it.

Attachments

• first lift.jpg
    first lift.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 44
Greg Smith Equipment is where I got mine but it's an EAGLE 9000lb
Don't know how I got along without it all the yrs before either!
I got mine for around $1800
An investment well worth it!

thanks everyone for the replies..Mr. Gusset, how tall is your ceiling in there, looks really close..I have 11'7" at my highest point..

thanks,
Tim

I have a 4 poster... as long as my wife and 2 teenage daughters agree to help me... which they normally don't. Some I'm usaully stuck figuring out how to lift something too big and too heavy the old fashioned way.

They can't lift much any way.... the girls and wife that is.

My ceiling is 11ft 11in and ? it was a tight squeeze ! Had to lift rafters a smidge
with forklift and drive it in!:eek:

LOL..sounds like something I would do, but I don't think I can fudge mine six inches..:D Looks like I'm going to have to go with one of the base plate models, unless I can find a slightly shorter version of the overhead variety..

Been looking at some, the Atlas 9KOH from gregsmith has two setting,the shortest being 11'6", which should work..hhmmmmmmmm :) anybody got one of these?

thanks again,
Tim

Last edited:
Ordered a Bendpak XPR-9 today,chain under,and made for low ceilings. I only have 8',rafters are 5/12 pitch, so can do some cutting and brace them with I-beams.

I bought this Dannmar 6 years ago when I built my shop so I would no longer have to crawl around on the floor when repairing rockers or under car stuff. No issues and it has been used heavily. My buddies Jeepster is here for a complete floor pan replacement :eek:[;)

My roof pitch is 6/12 giving me 13' 6" to the peak with 11' walls in the lift stall.

iyh0t5.jpg

Meanwhile, My own project sits on jack stands.

34ex54m.jpg

Chris

I bought a new Bendpack 9000lb 2 post A symetrical lift 6 years ago (when I had some money) and it is without a doubt the best tool investment I have ever made!
You want to make sure you double the thickness of your concrete where you plan to anchor your lift. I would recommend a pad of about 3ftX3ft.Where your post are going to land. You absolutely do not want to drill all the way thru your concrete when putting in the anchors!
Also make sure you locate the whole works far enough from the walls so you can walk all around it . I didn't do this and have to walk all the way around to get to the tool box when a vehicle is not all the way up!

http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/ac5/oldcedarspeedway/?action=view&current=101_1166.jpg]
th_101_1166.jpg
[/URL]

Notice right post next to wall? bad idea. I didn't have much choice because when I built my garage even though I new someday I would have a lift in it, I built it with the overhead door too close to the side wall. (dah!) So even with planning things don't always turn out as planned.
Hope this helps ya.

I bought a new Bendpack 9000lb 2 post A symetrical lift 6 years ago (when I had some money) and it is without a doubt the best tool investment I have ever made!
You want to make sure you double the thickness of your concrete where you plan to anchor your lift. I would recommend a pad of about 3ftX3ft.Where your post are going to land. You absolutely do not want to drill all the way thru your concrete when putting in the anchors!
Also make sure you locate the whole works far enough from the walls so you can walk all around it . I didn't do this and have to walk all the way around to get to the tool box when a vehicle is not all the way up!

My BendPack arrived last week,sitting outside until I get the inside of the shop ready. I like your idea about the 3x3 ft. of concrete,looked at a hoist installation last week that was done like that, better safe then sorry. It's been 28 years working without one, and chumping at the bit now to get at it!
Brian

I have a 30-some year old Weaver two post floor plate model that has been a lifesaver.

I bought it from a shop where the two owners split... I removed and installed it with the help of my kids. It's a 12k model and It's made of 1/4" and 3/8" thick columns with a 3/4" base... heavy duty. $1800.00.

IIRC I bought it around 1995... it's been bulletproof.

My Weaver is so stout I almost feel sorry for the guys who own those flimsy newer lifts...

My 3'x3'x 6" pads are under my 6" concrete floor. I just dug out the gravel where the lift was going and doubled the floor in those areas.

looks like most own 2 posts..I thickened the concrete in the middle of floor right in front of my big door in anticipation of installing a 2 post at some point..checked it last night, I've got 11ft 7 inches under the bottom peak of my scissor trusses..think I'll have to go with a floor plate model with that ceiling height.. will will keep digging on that..
thanks for the input,
Tim

My Weaver is a floor plate model and the "plate" has never been an issue for me... If I have an engine project I usually back the car in the shop to gain a little more room (and natural light) anyway.

They come in Handy

We've got one on a 4" slab, 10 years no problem. I saw one colapse inward on a F350 once. Ours has the cross brace on top going from post to post. I think that's important. Pics are a 67 K20 I'm putting a 12 valve Cummins in.

Attachments

• 67 K20 & 12 valve Cummins.jpg
    67 K20 & 12 valve Cummins.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 67 K20 w 12v cummins.jpg
    67 K20 w 12v cummins.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 18
I have a Eagle 4 post use it allot. I like it to set up ride height. works very well There are some things a two post lift work better for but I always have many teenagers working at my shop I was afraid they would lose a car off of a two post.[S I seen a car fall off of one a few years ago at a shop I worked at.

Latest posts

Back