My new shop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

Last time I posted I think I was in the middle of a battle with the neighbor at my old shop, Well I'm out of there and now looking back I waish I had done this a year ago.

I'm now in a storage unit shop (3 units actually but down to 2 after this weekend) My shop is 12X30 with only one 110 outlet and a light bulb. I bought some expensive power strips and extension cords, a VFD that converts 110 single phase to 220 3phase and have had no issues with power as of yet.

I have a Bridgeport mill (3phase) Logan lathe, Burke #4 horizontal mill with a vertical head att., welder, welding table, 4' brake press, table saw, horizontal band saw, vertical band saw, parts washer, surface grinder, 2 drill presses, numerous tool boxes, a CNC plasma table (in process) sure I've missed a few things[S and I still have room to walk around & work (if I choose too) I have most things on castors to move them out for use or to just get them out of the way. The plasma table is on it's side right now but soon will find a home suspended from the ceiling when not in use by a hoist system (with some safety device to keep it from crashing down). I still have to go get my heat treat furnace too.

I'm keeping my smallest unit to store materials and non powered/seldom used tools. I have a 8X12 loft that will hold the rest of my stuff then take my truck to the garage at my house.

Attachments

• Shop Organised (1).JPG
    Shop Organised (1).JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Shop Organised (2).JPG
    Shop Organised (2).JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Shop Organised (3).JPG
    Shop Organised (3).JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Shop Organised (4).JPG
    Shop Organised (4).JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Shop Organised (5).JPG
    Shop Organised (5).JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Shop Organised (6).JPG
    Shop Organised (6).JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Shop Organised (7).JPG
    Shop Organised (7).JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Shop Organised (8).JPG
    Shop Organised (8).JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Shop Organised (9).JPG
    Shop Organised (9).JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Shop Organised (10).JPG
    Shop Organised (10).JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 59
This is my VFD for my Bridgeport, I made it so that I can move/mount it over by my surface grinder too when I need to use it. The arm is a mount for a .50 caliber machine gun so it should be bullet proof.

Attachments

• vfd (1).JPG
    vfd (1).JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 42
  • vfd (2).JPG
    vfd (2).JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 41
  • vfd (3).JPG
    vfd (3).JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 33
New shop!

That looks GREAT! Way to go man. Looks like you have used all the space and have things set up nicely. Little smaller is always an issue. I have a 24 x 46 and i think its to small. But keep up the good work and keep more pics coming.[cl

52 fordman

I'm happy for you, Charlie. Not only are you out of that lousy setup you had, but this new one looks really great. Very organized and full of good equipment.

Have fun ! :D

Don

Thanks guys, once I get the plasma table stowed away on some type of hoist/lift I will have plenty of working room for pieces & parts. If the mill was at the back of the shop I could actually get my 47 in there. Once I'm ready to start working on it I'll rent another unit to put it in.

Tools I plan on adding soon are a bead roller & E wheel, would really like to have a small pullmax or pullmax type hammer.

Also thinking about stacking cabinets and shelving to the ceiling and building a library type ladder on a rail that rolls along the length of them. There are tenants that have been in this facility for 10 years or longer so I'll probably die here.(just hopefully not in the next few years)

Didn't figure we were going to hear from you again - glad to have ya back! So what's the story - house? You sold the bus? Still workin' at the same shop?

You have that place packed well.

Latest posts

Back