1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, thanks for the comments.

Torchie, thanks for the compliment. I'm actually pretty nervous about the chop. Dome tops are a tough chop, and it will be my first. You are looking at my first sheet metal work when you look at this build. I have spent a lot of time reading and watching metal shaping videos. I practiced with the English wheel and planishing hammer, but didn't make anything.

My cab is in really good shape and I don't want to dink it up. I think I will take DR's advice to heart and fabricate something to hold the roof in shape .

I am actually thinking about cutting around the perimeter instead of across the roof. Gambino Customs did a 39 Ford cab this way on the Hamb site. It puts all of the post weld metal shaping with in arms reach. It also puts the cuts on the curve and that helps it hold its shape. There is more welding, but the fill strips are half as wide. This might help minimize the baseball analogy you made, or at least make the flat area smaller.

I'm still considering options.

Gold03

Wow Gold! Been awhile since I checked in. That grill looks great. It changes the look of the whole project. Looks heavy duty. I agree the hood looks like it needs to be pulled up/out to match.

How about a pic that shows the grill and the full cab? (mock up a wheel too?) [P

I'm thinking your idea on the perimeter chop might be a good way to go. One of the biggest problems I had with my Olds chop was warping going across the roof. I made 2 relief cuts about 20" long on the sides (about 7" up from the drip edge) and they were much easier to control warpage and work afterward. It was also still in the curved area which kept the metal a little stiffer too.

Last edited:
Hey Sam,

Thanks for the feedback.

My work space is so small it's hard to get a picture. Everything ends up to close. The rim and tire I need are frozen in three feet of snow:( out at my acreage. I can't even get close to it with my Jeep. I'm so sick of winter!!! And it's snowing again today!

Gold03

Got some work done yesterday. Bit of welders flash though. Bore today.

I built some back pieces for my grill out of three inch exhaust pipe. Split length wise, then worked up a reverse curve. going to use this as the bottom structure to mount the grill. Will be filling in the rest and adding some additional internal structure.

I still need to hammer out some caps for the back end of the pieces I added earlier. They will join into the mount area.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1101.jpg
    IMG_1101.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1104.jpg
    IMG_1104.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 42
Did some more work on my grill this afternoon. I am happy with the results. Its isn't finished yet, I still need to fill in the triangular space to reinforce the upright.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1111.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1109.jpg
    IMG_1109.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 51
gold03
I understand about the cab being in good shape. So is mine but it was also two beats away from being scrapped.
When I started this build one of the motivating factors was the 2 young guys that are sort of helpling me:D wanting to learn some that they had never done and my wanting to do some stuff that I hadn't done in 30 years. Hence the top chopped and the body channeled and hopefully the lead work.

There are lots of way to skin a cat and this is just the way that I decided to do mine. When i do the next one there will be some different thing that I will do.

That's the beauty of sites like this . Lots of great info. Back in my younger days you had to find someone who knew this stuff and was wiling to share. I was lucky in that respect as I had some great teachers way back when. So my vote is for a chop. Once you make that first cut. The rest is easy!
Torchie.[;)

When you get this filled in, will this be used as a mounting point ? Or do you have another way you're mounting the grille ?

attachment.php

Hey Iron, in the upper right of the photo you can see the bottom of the exhaust tubing I slit in 1/2. I am going to build some structure down from that area to carry the weight of the grill.

The bottom of the flare on the 1/2 exhaust pipe will conceal the mounting tab on the frame. I might trap some square tubing in the area to transmit the load up the side of the grill which is boxed now by the exhaust pipe, and extend that up yo the point I built into the hood to attach the grill.

It's a heavy grill to not be supported by a front clip. The hood will not be hinged. It is going to attach to the cab and the grill in a manner that will be the top lateral support for the grill. The good will be fastened / bolted to the top of the grill. I may add in some cowl rod to grill adjustable brace rods, not sure though.

I'm sensing you have some concerns. Let me know what you are thinking. The experience of the guys on this site is great.

I wanted the grill to reflect the style of the original. I didn't like the idea of building or installing another grill. I have the original chrome and it is going back on. The cross bars of the grill will have chrome.

Hope I'm making sense?

Gold03

PS it's snowing again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 33
LOL, yeah I'm out there again today for sure. It's hard to picture how I'm going to bring the RV home in two weeks.

Gold03

Its snowing, my garage is unheated, but I was working today! It was actually above freezing by lunch time.

I did a little more work on the grill. Its slow picky work getting the pieces to fit then welding them all together. I'm happy with the results.

Let me know what you think.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1124.jpg
    IMG_1124.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 61
looks great gold03. With metal work that nice is is almost a shame to cover it over with a finish.
Snow again here as well and no heat in the garage either.
Maybe that's why I can't get the young bloods over to help[S
Torchie.

Thanks for the compliment Torchie.

I worked out there for hours yesterday.[;) My step son came out to see what I was working on, and before to long his teeth are chattering. [S

Yesterday I stole another idea from someone. I bought a tear drop mallet and tried out some metal shaping using the bottom of an old oxygen bottle as a shaping stump. It works great! I'm inspired, and might make a attempt at making my own headlight buckets. They would have to be pieced together because I think they might be to deep to do in one piece. I still have the head light adjusters and chrome rings. I cold use them to Finish things off.

We'll see though. I really gotta get my grill mounts mounts made and modify my hood a bit. I want my hood and grill set up roughed in before I chop the cab and build the box. That way I can get a visual on proportions.

Gold03

Making your own head light buckets would be great. I knew a guy that had an old stump with a bowl shape ground into the top and you should see some of the metal shaping he did.
I also have used an old bowling ball from time to time to get curves. Just picked up another one at the local resale store for $5.
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back