concept discussion

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthman

Fascinated by rolling objects!
Tempe AZ on the corner of Oak and Southern
Been thinking for some time about the possability of sliding a pancake Subaru engine/auto trans axle under the back of a pretty much stock (rusty) Model A. Complete with stock Subaru radiator and suspension all held together in a cage that could just bolt to the pretty much stock frame. For my purposes it wouldn't need to be the 300 hp WRX turbo motor but it could just as easily be. I'm fully aware that the use of asian engines leave a sour taste for nearly all of us here so maybe we can skip ahead of that part of the discussion. :rolleyes: A boxer Porsche unit would likely be more palatable but a lot less likely to happen. :)
What say ye of experience and level heads?

28-29-coupe_zpsaeb8fahf.jpg

yep

do it[;)

there is model A sedan, l will get pics next time l see it, that is just tooooo cool.

a 350 chevy in the rear seat area with the radiator out hanging where the wooden trunk used to sit with electric fans.

he left it like a barn find, rusty & crusty with fenders but no hood, then, left the stock four banger in. it looks like it's running on the 4 popper till you listen real close as he drives by.

Later :cool:

I`d like to see that!! and those flat subarus don`t sound half bad either...I can see it match the looks of the mod A

I`d like to see that!! and those flat subarus don`t sound half bad either...I can see it match the looks of the mod A

I think it would fit entirely under the floor but the trans is set up for four wheel drive and extends back considerably. I think painted black and with fenders, bumpers and exhaust it might not be too weird.

check out the Factory Five Racing "818" it uses the drivetrain you are considering in a spaceframe kit car.You wouldn't have to get nearly as fancy, but the concept is there

I can't help in any way but you have full, enthusiastic support. Any naysayers will be chopped and channeled.:eek:

Back when I was building trikes, using FWD units in the rear, I knew some folks who did basically the same thing, except used only a single front wheel. A coupe with the engine under the trunk, pickup with a Toronado FWD setup under the tonneau cover, Like mine with the fiberglass bodies hiding the entire drivetrain. I think it could be easily accomplished, and done well using the Subie stuff. The suspension would make it handle and stop way better, and the radiator could be mounted up front or in a box in the rear with scoops and vents to feed it air. I wish I was closer... I'd love to be involved. :)

If that's what you want ..then I support you completely...;)

no really I think it sound like a cool idea...[P[P

Thanks Bud :)

check out the Factory Five Racing "818" it uses the drivetrain you are considering in a spaceframe kit car.You wouldn't have to get nearly as fancy, but the concept is there

I will look at that for reference willie, thanks :)

I can't help in any way but you have full, enthusiastic support. Any naysayers will be chopped and channeled.:eek:

LOL! Thanks Bob :)

Lowbud it has been fun to consider and i am scheming how to fit it into the project lineup. Something will have to go i know.

Back when I was building trikes, using FWD units in the rear, I knew some folks who did basically the same thing, except used only a single front wheel. A coupe with the engine under the trunk, pickup with a Toronado FWD setup under the tonneau cover, Like mine with the fiberglass bodies hiding the entire drivetrain. I think it could be easily accomplished, and done well using the Subie stuff. The suspension would make it handle and stop way better, and the radiator could be mounted up front or in a box in the rear with scoops and vents to feed it air. I wish I was closer... I'd love to be involved. :)

Thanks Animal. This is good input. Wish you were closer as well. :)

Just go ahead and get going on it [cl
[P[P[P

I have several projects stalled out for not having time to get to them now OI.
Remember the Vettester and the IH phantom phaeton and the '51 shoebox. :D
The Earthmobile and the '42 pickup are both running but both need work so it will be painful but there will have to be some thinning of the herd and some prioritizing. That needed to happen anyway. :rolleyes:

When are you starting on it? I'll watch.

Well when i get these ducks in a row then a doner and a suitable model A Kenny. :)

Go for it. I'm looking for ideas and this sounds interesting. Have fun with it and keeps us in the loop. [;)
[P

Don't feel like you have to wait for me Soltzter. If you want to go first that's fine with me. :D

Latest posts

Back