Keep/Fix or Sell/Buy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

Seeing this is a forum of old vehicles I think I will know the answer of this but anyway, I have a somewhat daily driver 2002 Dodge Dakota. It has 150K on it and needs some work some I need to farm out. These trucks with the 4.7 have an issue with exhaust manifold bolts breaking. I have 4 out of 8 broken and 1 rounded bolt. i tried to fix it but really heed a lift and more flexibility so it will be taken it. It also has some rotted body mounts which I could fix myself. Also the rack may be leaking. The bed is also pretty rotted too. Thought of just building a plat bed. I was looking through the for sales and trucks are expensive. $15 to $20k with trucks nearing 100K miles. My question is what to do? I call this a daily driver but put maybe 5-8K on a year. I am leaning toward keeping but wanted some other opinions. I have put maybe a grand a year in it the past 2 but were wear items like ball joints and broken rear shackle, another common problem. Thanks for the opinions. Jim

My plan is after my truck finishes turning into iron oxide I'm gonna have a friend down south find a decent rust free truck for me. Buy a cheap ticket on one of the scary airlines, go get it and hope it makes it home.

It's like Neil Young says, "Rust never sleeps". especially in CT.

2003 Quad Cab

I bought a new Dakota 4.7 in 2003. It is 15 years old and still drives like a Caddy.

It's a keeper.

To me, it would be easier to pull off the front fenders to do the manifolds.

I don't have a lift either.

Do an online search.

Fender removal is widely covered in Dakota/Durango forums.

What's the main purpose this rig is used for?
It is my vehicle of choice for all my driving. I only work a few days a week about 15 min away if I need to haul something. I use it as a work truck around the house for dump. We have a RAV4 and a Mustang GT currently so I can use either of those two to drive until winter when the GT comes off the road. Jim

I bought a new Dakota 4.7 in 2003. It is 15 years old and still drives like a Caddy.

It's a keeper.

To me, it would be easier to pull off the front fenders to do the manifolds.

I don't have a lift either.

Do an online search.

Fender removal is widely covered in Dakota/Durango forums.

I will look into that. I am going to get a firm price this week on how much it will cost to have done but that may be an option.

I do really like this truck and know it well. Lots of spare parts around too.

Bob your idea is great. I kinda did the opposite with this truck and got it from Chicago. Probably worse salt that CT.

I would have it fixed if you can't get them out. Sounds like you know it's a good truck. I have a 2000 Ram 1500 that sounds like your Dakotas big brother. 165,00 miles, over the last couple of years i replaced the ball joints, radiator, water pump, power steering hoses, front brakes and a few small items. Body is rusting from the ground up. Never fails to start and the 360 only uses a quart of oil every 3000 mi. Fix it and drive for a few more years. It can probably be fixed for what one monthly truck payment would be.

Yep, fix it and drive.
I done the same on my 01 Ram3500 diesel, that I bought new.
Spent around 3K on head surfacing, gasket, rear end rebuild, and new heavy duty clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, flywheel resurface.
I just couldn't swallow payments on a new rig.

Thanks guys. Feeling kinda bad that it looks like age is finally catching up with me. I used to never balk at any of these type jobs. Not as easy crawling under vehicles any more. Jim

Sometimes it's wisdom that comes with age. You wise up and realize you'd rather spend that time doing something you want instead of fighting exhaust manifold bolts.

Last time I let go of a truck because of troubles, I regretted it. Found my '63 and decided my daughter could sell it after I die.

Plan like you'll keep it forever. That way new parts/work are a long term investment, not just a fix for now. Compared to my wife's truck, I spend less on parts every year than on her full coverage insurance.

All well and good. Except if you have a truck for 20 years in this area everything will rust except the glass. Unless you treat it like a collector. I lend my 2005 Chevy truck to a young hot rod builder and in return he keeps in good repair. I'm way ahead.

Age and health factor in also. At 77 and with an arm in a sling, I'm watching the parade, not participating. Hoping to find a clean older truck with updated mechanicals in Fla. this January.

Thanks all, I am bring it in next week. I am getting my own parts and my guy is going to install it all. Thanks for helping me with this decision and I think I will keep it until it is too far gone. We usually drive them into the ground. We had a 97 Taurus that had a broken motor mount, shot trans and busted brake lines, probably because of the motor mount before I finally got rid of it. Jim

Latest posts

Back