tryn to change my trans

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashtray455

right now ive got a 3 speed in my 57 chevy pickup going with camaro subframe , anyway i would prefer to have a 5 speed . so my ? is what 5 spd will work ?, willnt have a cumputer on board thanks for readn

Possible transmissions

Howdy
I like to use S-10 and Camaro T-5, 5-speeds. There are a number of versions of this trans and there are some great websites to explain them. It will have to be one that does not have the electronic speedo. Since the Camaro has the trans rotated on the bellhousing it is necessary to use an S-10 shifter or take the Camaro shifter out and apart, heat it and straighten it, not the best solution, but it works. Also you will have to fabricate a new rear crossmember and mount set-up. The Camaro mount will have to be rotated. It is a little difficult but doable. The Camaro trans has the shifter at the back end of the tailhousing. The S-10 is forward around 10" or so. Bucket seats are usually a must with the Camaro piece. A word of warning these transmissions will not take a lot of horsepower and because they are used can have worn shift forks, sliders etc. It is best to either drive the car or have the trans cover off (it's a pain to remove) when purchasing. I got burned on a trans this old "honest" guy had. Just some information that might help. Have fun! Steve

Last edited:
Like the guys said ^^^^

Also, GM T-5 from S-10, T-10 and Astrovan for the forward shifter. '89 and older for mechanical speedo.

I don't think a Mustang T-5 is possible. Longer input shaft, different spline count, etc. (Too bad, they're the tougher WC type).

Latest posts

Back