MIG Gas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordFanatic

This has probably been asked before , and if so I apologize. I have a Miller 135SP Mig welder. I've used it a lot on 1/16th and thicker carbon steel , but I want to do some patch panels and find the 035 flux-core wire too heavy. What would be the best gas and wire size to use for welding light gauge sheet metal ?
Thanks, for the help, John

Use .023 or .024 wire and Argon/CO2 mixed gas. I use C-20 (20% CO2, 80% Argon) for everything, some guys prefer more Argon. Just tell your supplier what you're doing, and he should have something suitable.

Another tip I was given, and find to be true.....buy name brand wire, not HF or PA......surprising how much difference it makes.

The problem with welding this sheet is burn through. Flux core wire burns hotter that solid wire does. Also, CO2 burns hotter, the heavier it is in your mix, the more penetration. While .023" wire is nice for thin bodywork, it isn't the only option. It will probable neccessitate switching the liner in your gun along with the tip. I would also consider. 030", which should use the same liner.

Try to get some brass or copper flat stock. Use it as a backer behind your seam. It will help more than you can imagine.

Latest posts

Back