dually rear axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eng8tophut

Evening ya'll, I hope I'm not posting something in the wrong place. I'm looking to replace the rearend in my '51 Chevy 4400. The old girl will not be subjected to any more toil. I don't need a 6:10/8:10 2 speed rear anymore. Is there a modern dually rear, any make, in the junkyard that has the same bolt pattern? 3:73 to 4:10 gears would suit me just fine. I really want to use the '51's rims. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'd check out the 14 bolt 1 ton dually diff's...

Evening ya'll, I hope I'm not posting something in the wrong place. I'm looking to replace the rearend in my '51 Chevy 4400. The old girl will not be subjected to any more toil. I don't need a 6:10/8:10 2 speed rear anymore. Is there a modern dually rear, any make, in the junkyard that has the same bolt pattern? 3:73 to 4:10 gears would suit me just fine. I really want to use the '51's rims. Any help would be much appreciated.

may be close to the same mountings....most came with 3:73 or 4:10's so it might just be the ticket....may only take some minor fab or relocating the spring mounts....[S

The Ford 1 tons ought to be close....one thing you could always do if your gonna not tow any fully loaded 20 ft trailers with it is get a ford rear thats close to the same bolt hole pattern, have the floating hubs redrilled for studs to match your rims.
Any competent machineshop could handle this for you. I've done this in my shop, with a drill fixture locating off the origional studs.
There are several stud charts here on the net that list all the Chevy/GMC, Dodge, Ford rears with spec.'s. Just find one that has the same stud pattern, with stud dia.'s to fit your rims, then shop for the correct width.
Once you find what you want, its easy to cut your mounts and relocate them.
[;):cool:

That is a good tip. several good machine shops here. I think what would suit me better is to find a 3:23 or 3:55 cab and chassis dually rear from a Dodge. I've spent some time looking for replacement gears for the 2 speed and they just don't exist. 6:10/8:10 is just to much to use everyday when I'm turning it into a toy. I can get 19.5" rims 8 lug for the Dodge rear and it'll look close to stock going down the road.

rear diff.

The only problem with going to a 3:73 or 4:11 is if your going to run the big 19.5 wheel, the gear ratio will drop to a low 3 or high 2, thats why they put 5 and 6's in the big motor homes, the taller the tire the lower the ratio becomes, I do not have a chart on this but someone here has to know the formula.
( Layman's terms a 3:08 will spin small tires, but not big tall tires )

Found what I'm gonna use, Dana 60 floater with drum brakes and 19.5 steel rims and tires. It's got 3.73 gears and is the narrow version from a cab and chassis. I'm guessing the tall tire will knock the real ratio down quite abit but that's ok. I still plan to use a 396 and Muncie m-21 from an old project to run it down the road. I picked up 2 15.5 gallon kegs to use as fuel tanks, since they're aluminum Ill need to seal them.
Thanks for the input and when I can't figure out what to do next I'll post it! When the cuttin' starts I'll post pictures.

Latest posts

Back