Calling all 4x4 guys....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
I installed a Loc Rite locker into a GM 8.5" rear end. It seems to have to much space in between the center plates. The heavy springs are loose even. It came out of another 8.5: GM rear. Did I miss something? are they supposed to have this much space? I would think the springs would just flu out of it at higher carrier RPM. Thoughts? thanks

Attachments

• loc rite.jpg
    loc rite.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 24
Hard to say. It looks like I can put thicker shims under the left side. This will cut down on the space. The locker was free and the spring kit was $17. No great loss if it blows up. :D

It has to have some slack for one side to free wheel in a non power turn. Let one of the tires on the ground and put in neutral. The remaining lifted wheel should freewheel in both directions with a few jerks. It will sound like a ratchet and you can watch it work. When your power is applied, the spider pen pushes out the center to make up for the slack you can see. These units are a bit sloppy but have worked for a long time.

The problem here H Rocket is the gap is more than double the "go" gauge that comes with the unit. It is 1 1/2 times the "no go" side of the gauge so it is too wide. I think I can get it closer to spec with thicker shims on the drivers side. There seems to be more slop on that side than usual

Latest posts

Back