How do you add fluids to old Ford 9" with no filler hole?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
After changing the u-joint on my '57 Ranchero I figured I better check the fluid level for the 9" rear end. Hard to believe but it doesn't have a place to check or fill, it does have a drain plug on the bottom though. Any suggestions?!

BoB

Pull the drain plug,

3/8'' hose barb...

Barbs.JPG

marine gear lube pump...

0002269711891_500X500.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-Gear-Lube-Pump/16351021

Sure there is not a plug on the side of the chunk? If not, itt sounds like you have a miss matched set. Some had the plug on the housing , some on the chunk. Easiest place to add a plug would be the back housing.

Bamamav hit it on the head. Ford had TWO types of fills on their 9 inchers, one was on the housing and the other one had it on the pumpkin. If you mismatch them and put a pumpkin with NO filler on a housing with NO filler you have a problem, Bob.

You also need a way to check the gear oil level, and the filler plug is the way this is done, and since you have none, you have no way of knowing how much is in there.

What I would do is drain out all the fluid, then look up how much yours holds, then put that amount into the vent tube fitting. Not a perfect way to do it, but it will work. (my 9 incher holds 2 quarts)

But look on the drivers side of the pumpkin and you might see a square hole in there. It takes a 3/8 rachet and that removes the pipe plug, if you have one. You could just be missing it. Fill it with 90 wt gear oil until it just dribbles out the hole. If you have a limited slip, put in Ford Racing additive to make the clutches work right.

Don

Could do like I used to do on big rigs with the monstrous eaton rear ends. Jack up one side with the axle shaft out and fill it there. Better than getting shavings in your rear end by drilling out a hole and tapping it for a plug. That is if you do a drain and fill.

Sure there is not a plug on the side of the chunk? If not, itt sounds like you have a miss matched set. Some had the plug on the housing , some on the chunk. Easiest place to add a plug would be the back housing.

I have this issue with the 9 inch in my Opel. Not being a Ford guy, I didn't pay attention to this detail when I was gather parts. Now that the back half is fabbed and put together I discovered the lack of a fill plug so I'll be drillin' and tappin'.

The early 9's didn't have a filler plug & of course... that's what's in mine. I figured I have to use the vent hole & was definitely dreading having to pull an axle so... vent hole is the way I'll go. When I went to O'Reilly's they had 90W in a 32oz squirt type bottle & I'll use some small hose & squirt it in. Thanks for all the advice but I really wish I could turn the car upside down like Snake Farm suggested! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

I.....I had a chevy truck with a corporate 14 bolt
Yeah it had a filler...it was froze so solid the square hole stripped out trying to remove it

I drilled a hole in the rear cover at the oil level, filled it till the oil dripped back out like you do when adjusting floats on a holly...

And I turned one of these vacuum caps around and stuffed it into the hole.
never leaked...no dirt or water got in... what more could you ask for

9110159_dor_47388_pri_larg.jpg

Latest posts

Back