skool me on rear v8 setups.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

Since Im lookin into a trike setup and maybe a rwd setup can someone explain to me or giumme a good link to how this works?
Im wantin a V8 so maybe a fwd Eldorado or ????? Not sure.

I don't understand , can you use like an eldo type rear with another motor attatched or will only the caddy motor work with a caddy transaxle?

This has always been like black magic to me...lol Tnx all. RR

if you want the motor right above the rear wheels the the caddy or olds setup is the way to go. if you want a mid engine setup then you need a transaxle from a mid engine car. you can turn a corvair transaxle around and from what i understand the vairs turned the opp. direction from a v8 so you just turn it around (if i'm wrong someone please correct me). there is a porche set but it has some mods and a big $ to go with it but is turned around and flipped. i thought about a vette rear and a real short trans and v8 all solid mounted but it is still a long setup.

here is a pic of early 70's th425 trans

Attachments

• t-425_transaxle.jpg
    t-425_transaxle.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 26
The first gen Eldorado and Toronado transaxles use the BOP bellhousing bolt pattern so any mid 60's to early 80's Buick, Olds, Caddy or Pontiac will physically bolt up and with a simple adaptor, so will a Chevy V8. The second gen 79 - 80 something Eldo, Toronado and Riviera transaxle is narrower and I think uses a Turbo 350 derived trans instead of Turbo 400. They used Olds and Caddy engines. With any swap to a different engine there will be oil pan fabricating to do.
How about newer 90's Eldo with the Northstar V8 or even some Chev Impalas I think, came with a FWD LS Chev V8 engine, much smaller and lighter than the old stuff.

Latest posts

Back