Push button transmission to a floor **** transmission

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowman

Hi everyone. I am getting ready to scout out my international truck. The power plant is coming from a 66 mercury. The 390 engine has a push button trany and I would like to convert it to a floor console shift. Is this possible?
Please share what you can. Thanks
Crowman:rolleyes:

Can you just put the selector buttons in the console?
To show ya how much I know about a Ford product, I didn't even know they put them in a Mercury

What you have is a 57-58 Merc o Matic transmission. It was dropped in 58 due to it being problematic. How it got in a 66 Merc is anybodies guess. I think I would look for another tranny. The Merc oMatic is just like a Ford o Matic, unless you put it in L, it will start out in 2nd , then shift to drive, just like the "Green Dot" Ford o Matic used until 1964.

http://www.mercomatic.com/

the cable drive can be taken off from the trans and fab up a rod to hook too the trans shift lever and your floor shifter. you have D, D with a green dot, then L. put in D it takes off in 2nd then shifts to 3rd. put in D with the dot, it shifts 1-2-3. L is low. Tobby

Auto trans

Thanks guys My dad lives a province away so I will go down in a couple weeks and post some pics of the international truck and the car's transmission. I will be better able to show exactly what I am starting out with for my build.
Crowman

Latest posts

Back