o/t ram daily rear end question.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo King

Ok guys! So I just did a major overhaul on the daily and now that the bad noises are gone I can hear a clunk in the rear end when you turn hard.

When you jack it up you can hear the sound by pulling and pushing on the rear wheels. Is this normal? Seems to me like movement of the axle shafts but not sure how to fix that. You can feel the drum moving between the backing plate if you put your hand there. The whole axle shaft is moving. Can't find anything online about what it is or how to fix it. Haven't been inside a rear axle before.

Looking for some insight. Happy hot rodding!!

Axle "end play" should be minimal and therefore, silent.

I suspect you have excessive wear and a catastrophic failure in store. More information would help... year, model etc. to determine spec and acceptable tolerance...

I've worked on a couple of them and they both had what i thought was too much play. when I had the rear cover off to pull the clips so I could remove the axles I couldn't find any thing wrong. no extra play in the outer spider gears. I changed axle bearings and seals and put it back together. They are still running 2 and 3 years later.??

That's what an older guy I was talking too had said yesterday. He owns the local repair place here. He said dodges especially will make noise but there's nothing wrong with them.

Latest posts

Back