Ford Tranny Help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shaft turns pretty smooth, no grinding or nastiness. Found a valve body for it that I'll pick up this weekend. Guys selling it with a stage 2 kit, because he's going to a manual body.
C4's not to common up here, so I may have to tear into it anyways. Think I got to much into it to walk away. Found a rebuild kit with red eagle frictions and kolene steels. As long as the gears are ok I hope it should be good?
I've never tore into a tranny before, but from what I've seen a c4 is one of the easier ones to work on.

Well I think I got a raw deal again.

Picked up what was supposed to be a c4 valve body. Looking at it I should have questioned it, as it had a smaller valve section where the filter goes.
It fits and all but.

Now looks like I got a c5 valve body. /sigh

Will this work?

Here is what mine looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 10
Yes that is a c-5 vb. it will work but you will need a deep pan and the right filter. If it does have a shift kit that's great, if not it will shift super soft. The top part is the added auxiliary vb. It's function is to soften the shifts because of the centrifugal clutch in the converter. also the c-5 bellhousing and converter are 1" longer for that reason (clutch). Tobby

Picked up the C4. Looks in good condition, other than it was dirty as could be. Engine must have been spewing oil. Probably removed 20lbs of oily crud off the outside.
Has a valve body...Yay!
Has a torque converter...yay!
Has all the cooling lines, flexplate, block plate, yoke, linkage..Yay Yay!

Had a friend who knew the guy who sold me the first trans. Said he had no idea it had no valve body as he never used it or opened it up. But he did have a spare vb I could have. Picked it up today so now I have 2 c4s. First tranny had what seemed to be a lot of movement in the gear train, didn't measure, but seemed excessive think it will get the rebuild but later. Second tranny has 50000km and a shift kit and b servo, first has an A. So I think the second it might be better in the long run till I get the first tranny rebuilt. Then I can swap the good stuff and it should be a stout tranny. I got the kolenes red eagle clutches and bands.

Latest posts

Back