Filter in TH350 cooler line

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Herald

Just having a little thinking session, but would there be any benefit in fitting an inline filter in one of the lines to the cooler, just to see what colour fluid is, whether there is any junk in it etc?

My trans is at the re-builders right now, seems to have some worn out clutches, fluid was dark red but didn't seem burned and there was a lot of silver grease in the pan and particles on the filter.

I have one of these on the shelf, would that work okay in a cooler line, or is it just sorta pointless? I'm assuming the normal filter would take all the much out before it go to the cooler line?

Motorbike-chrome-and-glass-fuel-filter.jpg

I think that 180 degree temp fluid might cause some problems for that filter. It was made to handle cool gasoline, not hot fluid. It might also cause a restriction in the line. The stock filter catches most of the junk as it is.

If the car builders thought it was a good idea, they would have put one on it. You are thinking though ! :D

Don

Yes, I wondered about the heat thing. The body is alloy, and glass, but the filter is plastic.

I looked in Summitracing, they have a filter, Magnafine or similar, they want $129 for it. :eek: :confused:

The filter filters just fine and if you want to check the color pull out the dip stick and you can smell it also. JMHO:D

Good luck with the rebuild

The best place for the filter you have pictured is the garbage can. NEVER use one for fuel especially. They notoriously leak and break, causing many a car fire. One of the worst designs ever...

The best place for the filter you have pictured is the garbage can. NEVER use one for fuel especially. They notoriously leak and break, causing many a car fire. One of the worst designs ever...

Yep, I had one come apart on me. Luckily I noticed it just before we left our hotel that day, but we put on about 600 miles that day so it could have been really bad had it happened when it was hot on the highway. Now I have a steel one.

King Herald, that filter is made of cheap cast pot metal and glass. Please don't use one on your transmission, or your fuel line. Blue Eyed Devil is right. Throw it in the garbage and use a steel fuel filter, and stick with the stock transmission filter.

King Herald, that filter is made of cheap cast pot metal and glass. Please don't use one on your transmission, or your fuel line. Blue Eyed Devil is right. Throw it in the garbage and use a steel fuel filter, and stick with the stock transmission filter.

Hmmm, I do have one on my fuel line actually........:eek: It seems fairly well made, millions are in use, but you never know....I hate this idea of gasoline exposed near hot headers and suchforth....

I also have a pressure gauge right after it, so logically, no pressure equals no fuel, so I could remove the filter, run a single hose, safer all round.

You'd probably be better off having them install a drain plug in the pan so you can more easily change the fluid and filter. But then, the rebuild should last as long as you do unless you tend to thrash it.

I already have a drain plug in, which makes life easier.

Got the tranny back today, the re-builder tells me it was toast inside, lots of damaged bushes, bearing, thrust washers and other hard parts. he showed me a few, damn, that trans had a hard life before I got it......

Latest posts

Back