new tranny for my '68 240?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brchopper

I got a '68 galexie with a 240 straight 6 and a 3 speed manuel with a worn out column shift. tired of grinding 2nd if I dont take it real slow and careful. So I thought I would put in a hurst floor shifter then remembered I got a threespeed with overdrive toploader that was out of a '85 f150 with a 300. I did a quick measurement and the trannies seemed to measure the same.
Does anyone know this would not work or if there were any differences between the truck and car 240 engine or between the 240 and newer 300 as far as bolting up transmissions to?

should be the same. just got to watch what spline the trans is compare to the one you remove. If there the same it should slide right in. Just double check the bolt pattern and the the outside diameter of the input shaft retainer.

The 240-300 has the same bell as the Small Block Ford. But you can not use the small block flywheel on the I6

thanks for the info. this is my daily driver so wanted to get a good idea that it would work before I started pulling it apart to see if it would work.

i didn't know the cars used the 240....i thought it was different-like a 200/250 or something[S

please do not read criticism into this- i am only asking a question....but i agree that the 240 & 300 I-6 have the same bell pattern...

i didn't know the cars used the 240....i thought it was different-like a 200/250 or something[S

please do not read criticism into this- i am only asking a question....but i agree that the 240 & 300 I-6 have the same bell pattern...

You got me thinking too. I checked and the V code for a 1968 Ford Galaxie car should be a 240.

Ford always seem to surprise you.

yep, shes a 240. got plenty of room under that hood. last night I crawled under the car and measured everything I could. everything measures the same as the '85 tranny. I couldnt beleave it. this weekend I plan to drop the drive shaft and pull the tranny out of the bell housing and slide the overdrive transmission in. I still expect something to not fit but Im going to give it a try. I use to have a ford van 300 with the three speed overdrive tranny and it was so fun to drive.

Before you pull the trans out take the drive shaft and stick in the trans on the floor to make sure the splines are the same.

that is a good idea. I could of easily got carried away and pulled the tranny before checking that.

didnt even get to pull the drive shaft . last thing I thought about before doing this tranny switch was where is the shifter ganna end up on the inside of the car? its only about 5 inch back from the firewall which still has it setting under the dash to much. what a bum deal because I thought this tranny would be great for the 240. now Im wondering what other tranny could I use and get overdrive but be able to locate the shifter farther back. for now I think I will get a floor shifter for the three speed.

didnt even get to pull the drive shaft . last thing I thought about before doing this tranny switch was where is the shifter ganna end up on the inside of the car? its only about 5 inch back from the firewall which still has it setting under the dash to much. what a bum deal because I thought this tranny would be great for the 240. now Im wondering what other tranny could I use and get overdrive but be able to locate the shifter farther back. for now I think I will get a floor shifter for the three speed.

You might start on the lookout for a t-5 if you want that overdrive. the 80's and 90's mustangs had them and the one I have out of a 93 S-10 is the ford bolt pattern. It might be worth a shot. The other advantage is that the ****er is in the tail shaft and there were 3 different positions available.

pulled my tranny out of the '69 (i know i said it was a '68 but its a'69) and the tranny from the '85 f150 is a perfect match except it puts the stick coming into the car 4 inches behind the firewall. I really want to use the overdrive transmission so i am going to move the heat duct vents out of the way and make a new stick that will run back to the seat and than up.I am a little concerned at how it will shift with altering the stick the way I plan to.

Latest posts

Back