Awd ???'s

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighroder

Ok I got plans for a build awd with ifs and possibly irs, main question is with the engine trans combo I'm using (L32 and a t-5) what are some transfer case options?
Either devorsed or not?
I'm also looking to know which type would be better for high speed application gear out chain?
At around 400 hp
plan on 150 ish top speed
I will be using some sort of limited slip front and rear so as not to put alot of strain on axles and such but I also want this to turn and handle well..

Any help, info, or opinion would be greatly appreciated thanks zeth

How about one of the S10 type AWD pickups - Typhoon and Syclone, they had Turbo'd V6's in them - though probably kinda rare... or newer Tahoe, Escalade, they have a drivetrain strong enough for 400 hp. What body are you planning to use ?

Hand built frame hand built body gunna be a simple pickup style rat hopefully if I can do it I want to make a removable hardtop, open wheel, with a full hood to cover the driveline.

And yes wrx does have nice motors and driveline but I've already got my motor and trans 3.8 supercharged L32 and a t5 with v6 bell

Oh and I'm not really looking for a front axle just a transfer case I'm actually thinking about making my own but it would be gear driven and all time awd..along with the extra milling and machining it would probably be cheaper to just use a oem one, does anyone know of any transfer case options for the t5?

If you have the machining capabilities you may be able to make an adaptor to go on the front of an OEM transfer case to mate up to the T5. Can't think of any divorced type transfer case other than the real old stuff, 50's, 60's. If you go full time AWD, you'll need some sort of torque sensing device to keep the front end from binding - ever drive a 4x4 around a corner on pavement with the front diff locked in?

No I would be running some sort of posi on front and rear so it won't bind as its cornering or steering, suzuki samuri has a devorsed case I'm just not sure if it would hold up? And as for machining I do know someone with a shop but I'd still have to pay him..done know how difficult it would be to make an adapter...also is there any certain case you would recommend? I'm not real big in the 4x4 world so not that firmilair, thanks zeth

sorry to jump in but, i believe an np241 may work and there is severe duty parts available and i too think your best bet is from the typhoon or cyclone. also possably a case from an chev astro may be a good donor.

also a thought in your irs, 1996 ford thunderbirds had a "sub frame" style 8.8that can be found with posi or a nissan 240 sx. the kids are using the nissan 240sx subframe and irs assembly in drift hardbodie trucks with good luck and they take abuse too

Ok so I asked my instructor today, (I'm going to wyotech right now for diesel) he said a 231c borg warner transfer case would bolt up, or he recommended a bravada case because it has a coupling on the front output that will break loose in a hard corner and not with the front so hard

that makes sense, forgot about that truck. wyotech is an awesome school i visited them in penn. good for you man. hope you use it all to its fullest

its a pretty good school instructors know they're ****..they get alot of disrespectful punks coming thru her cause they don't screan anyone, but you get what you give, so far I've been above 96 percent and perfect attendance.

Ok so s10 4x4 has a wc t5 with a transfer case, the bell on a 2.8 supposedly fits up to a 3.8 my question is are these wc in the s10 the same quality as the wc they put in mustangs and camaros? And what year s10 should I be looking for? Once again any help would be greatly appreciated thanks zeth

Latest posts

Back