SBF to T-5

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

I'm in the "pipe dream" phase of planning a family hot rod. I want to use a pre-emissions SBF with a modern T-5 out of a 5.0 stanger or similar.

I know Fords are tricky to mix n match parts. Will a flywheel/pressure plate off of a fuel injected 5.0 fit on an older 302 or 289?

Do you guys know of any sources for technical info on making this work?

Thanks!

If your going to run a pre 1981 motor you have to use a pre 81 fly wheel pressure plate,1981 and later use a 52oz fly/Pplate if I remember the weight right.the t5 wil bolt up to either.hope this helps. Oh yea there are some blocks that use a 5 bolt bell housing and a t-5 wont bolt to them,I'm not sure if there is an adapter to make it work.

Last edited:
I got a spare T5 in the garage from an 86LX Stang. Browse through Jegs or Speedway for the bellhouding you need.

There are some companies making flywheels and clutches to use the early 28 oz. balance engines in front of the T5 trans and bell. I can not think who they are right now.

Ford 289 and 302 up to mid 1980 use the 28 oz. balance. Mid 1980 went to the 50 oz. balance.

All 351 W. are 28 oz. balance.

Latest posts

Back