Flux core vs gas?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fluxcore is ok for small jobs, if its all you have. This type of welding is typically running less heat on small gauge welding wire , which means less penetration. Its also a little messy. Personally, I wouldnt use it for anything thicker than 1/8 and only then if there is no structural requirements. The shielding gas gives you a wider range of choices for wire size and heat ranges. I use .017 to .030 for different gauges of sheetmetal and .035 to 1/6 wire for thicker plate steel.

Gas is by far the way to go for amost everything, except if you are working outside. We only use flux outside,as it is better in most locations, any breeze going by your weld will displace the gas.
Brian

I am still running flux core because I dont have a bottle yet but I think best would be plan on setting up for gas than you can experiment with both. I would like to hear why gas is a stronger weld. I have heard you get more penatration with flux . If gas is stronger it seems it would be because it is a cleaner weld but I dont know that to be true.

I am still running flux core because I dont have a bottle yet but I think best would be plan on setting up for gas than you can experiment with both. I would like to hear why gas is a stronger weld. I have heard you get more penatration with flux . If gas is stronger it seems it would be because it is a cleaner weld but I dont know that to be true.

Cleaner!!

Only buy Lincoln or name brand flux core...

the Harbor freight stuff is junk.....flux is great for doing stuff outdoors but does make nasty looking welds until you wire it off...lots of crap around the weld....but for welding in the breeze, it's good...

I might add to this subject a little more information that I previously left out that if your having problems using flux core wire on thin metal to change your polarity from reverse to straight polarity, you will get less penetration, but also less blow through. You will likely have to do this,as the flux core wire is usually .030 or 035 ,and most smaller welders using gas,use .024-025 wire for thin material. Changing polarity is only a matter of changing your ground to the terminal where your torch connects,(-) and the torch connects to your ground terminal,(+).
Brian

Good point....

I might add to this subject a little more information that I previously left out that if your having problems using flux core wire on thin metal to change your polarity from reverse to straight polarity, you will get less penetration, but also less blow through. You will likely have to do this,as the flux core wire is usually .030 or 035 ,and most smaller welders using gas,use .024-025 wire for thin material. Changing polarity is only a matter of changing your ground to the terminal where your torch connects,(-) and the torch connects to your ground terminal,(+).
Brian

have never tried that but never had the need as I've got two other welders....both gas 110 Snap on and 220 Century and honestly I use 30 in both....tried using 23/24 in the snap on but just seem to have better results with 30....

have never tried that but never had the need as I've got two other welders....both gas 110 Snap on and 220 Century and honestly I use 30 in both....tried using 23/24 in the snap on but just seem to have better results with 30....

.030 wire takes a bit more power then .024-25,but i guess it's whatever works best for you. I think a lot is in how fast you move along with your torch speed also,(I tend to move slower then I once did,haha)Brian

Yeah.....I know that feeling!!!

.030 wire takes a bit more power then .024-25,but i guess it's whatever works best for you. I think a lot is in how fast you move along with your torch speed also,(I tend to move slower then I once did,haha)Brian

Like the old bull and young bull on the hill....I'm sure you've heard the Joke...slow and steady as she goes....

Gas or flux

Gas is the best way to go if you want it too look good. I was using flux core when I tacked my headers togeather, I had my buddy tig them up, and he said when he started the tig the flux would run out of the weld, and blow out the nice clean tig, he said he had to re-spot them and grind out all the flux spots and work it that way, hope that helps.

i have welded for aliving for over 25 years. i use a miller 220 .045 flux core and 75/25 gas and will not use bare wire. splatter is low on the flux wire and the bare splatters alot. i use v-71 wire and yes it is used with gas.

so you use flux and gas together?

i have welded for aliving for over 25 years. i use a miller 220 .045 flux core and 75/25 gas and will not use bare wire. splatter is low on the flux wire and the bare splatters alot. i use v-71 wire and yes it is used with gas.

Interesting....never heard of anyone doing that before, but obviously if it works for 25 years, it's been proven to work....interesting...[S

the v-71 flux core with out gas is the same as bare wire without gas, it will be full of porosity. it is suppost to be equal to a 7018 stick and is machineable. if you ever used this stuff you would never go back to bare wire. now for body work i can't say, the thinest i have used this on is 16 gauge .062, but for frame and everything else it would do the trick.

Hard wire on gas will give you the best looking welds overall. If you become proficient using flux core you can also expect very nice welds. The tensile strength of the wire is the same. If you must weld outside it's a very good way to go. Just be prepared to have to remove slag and a little extra spatter. Anti-spatter spray works well to protect surrounding areas (but I dont like it in my weld). Yes... you have to change polarity and switch to knurled feed roller/s to run it. If you are worried about strength... don't be if you have mastered the wire. Big structural projects like bridges and high rise buildings are all built using flux core.

Latest posts

Back