ford 9 inch yoke with tabs. need clips?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollingthunder

I have a ford 9 inch with 3-5/8 wide ujoint and caps are 1-1/8... I'm running a saginaw trans ..the only hybrid u joint I could find in those sizes uses inside clips.. question one. Do I neeed clips for the pinion if it has tabs? Question 2 can I use a ujoint that has grooves for inside clips and just not put the clips on since I have tabs ..or will that affect balance issues...I know its kind of an open tricky question.. I will respond with any details needed..

As long as you have a way to hold the caps and they not be able to shift side to side you'll be ok.Unused grooves for inner clips wont hurt just be sure there are tab ears on the yolk if no clips are used.

Here are some examples,the clips are used when needed. U joints are used for different applications so not all are clip slots are used.

9INYOKE.JPG

Outside%20lock%20weld%

7290%20Pinion%20with%20UJ7290%20w%20Pinion.jpg

Would I need to use the outside clips if the pinion has tabs...or the tabs replace the clips

If it has tabs the outside clips have nothing to clip to and the inside ones would probably get in the way of the caps seating properly. But if you try to run a none tab and no clips the U joint will shift to the side throwing shaft out of balance.

Thanks sneaky... by the way I love that truck in your picture... the chopp is spot on..its like alcapones getaway car..that's bad dude

So I had the chevy shaft wiith two chevy u joints.. 1/16 -3-7/32.. so I just got my hybrid ujoint.. same chevy dimensions(supposedly) on one side and ford 9 inch on the other...I pressed out the back end for the hybrid and replaced it. The chevy end in the shaft when try and put the clips on the out side..as soon as I start driving the cups to where I can see the notches on the yoke the ujoint get tight ..it turns but the other end instaled by the factory can almost be flicked with a finger and the joint will turn..well with this end it takes a little more effort..is this ok or should it move very! Freely

As long as you can get both outer clips in it will be ok but a little tight.If you cant get clips in one of the needles may have fallen over and holding the cap out.The tightness goes away after a trip around the block.lol

I usually bump the u joint with a hammer pushing the cups out against the clips. This seems to loosen the movement up to something that feels more acceptable. I hope I understood what you were referring too.

Ok thanks...ill roll with it.. did you ever get your pedal figured out? I wish I could have been more help but I'm only familiar with a hydraulic system..maybe on .my next build I can do a manual setup which is what I would prefer

Latest posts

Back