air ride help? 101

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluchvyguy

west mo. in a tiny town of 164 but close enough to
Ok I have a 48 chevy aerosedan with mustang II front suspension, in the rear i have 10 bolt with stock leaves, new reproductions, I have decided I want to bag it. Problem is I have no experience or knowledge on how to do this yet I am looking for any and all advice on this subject, I am lokking to do only whats needed to get on road for now (Funds) so I am wanting to just do shraider valves for now thanks for anyhelp..... andriod 654.jpg

I understand going low buck, but I don't think that schrader valves are gonna work out to well, even the best systems tend to lose pressure, and why bag it if you can't drop it and air it back up ? Look on ebay, there are some inexpensive kits there.
My '05 daily driver F150 has air ride bags for towing and my rat RPU is bagged, I have compressors on both.

You'll need to ditch the leaf springs for a suspension system that will accommodate bags. Something without a panhard bar is best so you don't get sideways motion - like a triangulated 4-link or a 3-link. I'd look into the 3-link, it may take less cutting into the floor. I put a triangulated 4-link from a 85 Cutlass under mine and it rearranged my rear seat quite a bit.

Check out the 46 Olds build - it's essentially the same car too.

As for the front, it won't take much more than a set of cups to place the bags correctly. You can fab your own shock brackets.

The bigger the bag (width) the smoother the ride, but you don't want a bag to rub anything! Some bags tend to balloon out when aired up so pay attention.

You can use manual valves.

Real cheap - get a bottle of compressed air.

I found a cheap triangulated 4link at bagit.com 239$ I may have a new problem The guy who started this car long time ago cut everything out of frame except at rear, Tring to figure out if he kept frame true while tacking in crossmember or if he just had both rails flopping in the breeze. Ill post pics soon.

Latest posts

Back