T5 behind a flathead

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnightcaper

So I plan on running a t5 behind a 276 cu ford flathead. My question is has anyone used a t5 from a 2.3L turbo coupe? I know I'll have to change the input shaft and my gears in the rear are 3.50.

lots of turbo coupe ran the WC T5 just search the no. the world class start with 1352-155 was the 2.3 turbo coupe made in 1987. hope that help I have one I am using behind a dsm turbo motor good luck[cl

The 4 cylinder T5's are actually more sought after (around here anyhow) since they have a lower first gear then the V6 or V8 ones, but they're just as tuff. Also they take a different pilot shaft bearing.

Just get a pilot shaft bearing that fits in the crank and fits the shaft on the tranny. I wouldn't go to all the trouble to change the input shaft in the transmission. You should be able to get it to work in the stock orientation.

I am just about finished putting a NWC T5 behind an 8BA flathead. Mine came out of an S-10 with a V-6. The transmission that I took out of the hotrod was a Borg-Warner 4 speed, and it looked like the little brother to the T-5. The pilot bearing was the right size and when I put the adapter on the flathead bellhousing, the input shaft was the right length. The splines on the input shaft are a way different, so you are right to worry about that, but it is a way easier and cheaper to get the right friction disc than change the input shaft. Hopefully, you can get the clutch disc that came with the trans. While you're scrounging parts, get the T-5 trans mount and speedometer drive and cable that came in the donor car. Oh, I'm assuming that a 2.3L Turbo coupe is a Chevy. The Chevy output shaft has a slightly different spline than a Ford so your slip yoke will have to be Chev too. The U-joint behind the slip yoke will take either a Ford or a Chev yoke. I have not test driven this transmission yet so I could be telling you some mediocre information. Good Luck.

I am just about finished putting a NWC T5 behind an 8BA flathead. Mine came out of an S-10 with a V-6. The transmission that I took out of the hotrod was a Borg-Warner 4 speed, and it looked like the little brother to the T-5. The pilot bearing was the right size and when I put the adapter on the flathead bellhousing, the input shaft was the right length. The splines on the input shaft are a way different, so you are right to worry about that, but it is a way easier and cheaper to get the right friction disc than change the input shaft. Hopefully, you can get the clutch disc that came with the trans. While you're scrounging parts, get the T-5 trans mount and speedometer drive and cable that came in the donor car. Oh, I'm assuming that a 2.3L Turbo coupe is a Chevy. The Chevy output shaft has a slightly different spline than a Ford so your slip yoke will have to be Chev too. The U-joint behind the slip yoke will take either a Ford or a Chev yoke. I have not test driven this transmission yet so I could be telling you some mediocre information. Good Luck.

A Turbo Coupe is a turboed ford thunderbird.

Hi again. My mistake about the Ford /Chevy swapping. Well some of my advice is usable, but you'll have to sift through it yourself. Measure every thing you can think of and go for it.

I'm using an S10 T5 behind an 8BA, I made a brass bushing for the pilot bearing, so it retains the stock 8BA pilot bearing, and stock T5 input shaft. Further to that had the 8BA flywheel redrilled for the S10 pressure plate so I can use the S10 disc and plate and through out bearing. I then have made up an adapter to run the stock Ford through out fork. Mine is going into a '30 A' Sedan so I have made a 1" adapter plate from the ford bellhousing/hog ring to the T5. With this I have not had to trim the input shaft at all. Also I have mounted the A pedals on a shaft attached to this plate that will retain the stock pedals in nearly the stock position. I do plan on a build thread once I am further along, work to slow to really post much as I go right now, and would forget to update as I progress...

Latest posts

Back