Borg Warner T19 Rebuild?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1952B3b23

Hey Guys,

I have a T19 4 speed trans that i plan on using in my 52 dodge truck build im not 100% sure if it needs a rebuild or not. It was out of the truck it came in when i bought it so i didn't get to drive it. Im wondering if it'd be a good idea to rebuild it before using it just in case? Ive never rebuilt a tranny before, are there instructions out there for a T19? I searched around on google for some but came up empty. I'd like to do it myself cause it'd save money and i like to learn new things. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Chris

Attachments

• photo 2 (17).JPG
    photo 2 (17).JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 23
  • photo 3 (17).JPG
    photo 3 (17).JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 16
  • photo 1 (17).JPG
    photo 1 (17).JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 13
your going to need a real good set of snap-ring pliers for sure.. (not the cheap set) I tried a three speed and I got stopped on a snap ring on a shaft couldn't do anything with it ,, (I didn't have the right tools for the job ) so I decided to get another trans .. it was cheaper at the time .

A good set of snap ring pliers, I'd have to get a set. What I'd really need first is a set of instructions or someone who knows how to give me a summary. Then I'd be able to figure if I have the tools and know how to do the job. If that fails I guess id have no choice but to go to a tranny shop, any idea how much a rebuild costs?

Thanks

-Chris

I doubt it even needs a rebuild. The T-19 is basically a T-18 with a syncro 1st and both are based on the old T-98 which is just about bullet proof, but shifts like a dead pig. I've got a T-98 in my F100 - you don't speed shift.

I think the T-19 had options for different 1st gear ratio's - might want to find out what you have. The 6-to-1 1st gear is a useless granny gear unless you want to pull a house or have like a 3.00 rear axle.

Yea they did offer the T19 with different first gear ratios. I'll have to check and see what I have. I'm also going to run an Advanced Adapters ranger OD to help keep my rpms in check with 3:55 gearing in the rear. I'm putting both of those behind a cummins 4bt which likes to cruise around in the 1700-2000 rpm range. The ranger OD will let me do that.

I think the plan is to run it as is and if I do see a problem with it I can worry about rebuilding it then. Thanks for the post.

-Chris

That's what I have in my axle. I run about 2000rpms at 65ish. Neither my speedo or tach is that accurate. 28" tires on the rear, maybe 27"? 4th Gear may be different from the T-98 though - I thought one of them wasn't 1-1 ratio. If I went to a 3.25 rear gear my granny 1st would be perfect, but 4th would almost be too low for cruising 55 (which I only do in a 45 zone ;))

I just checked out my t19 and I'm happy to see first gear is the 4.02:1 ratio not the super low 6.32:1. As far as I know all T19s are 1:1 in fourth gear. With the tire size I plan to run on my truck, P235/75/R15 the RPMs cruising at 65 mph would be in the high 2000s. For a motor that redlined at 3200 that is not efficient at all. That was the big driver for getting the ranger OD, I plan to drive the hell out of this thing so I want good cruising ability. I also already had the T19 and all the parts that go with it so I didn't wanna start the hunt for another transmission.

-Chris

I was cleaning up the T19 and noticed that it had a rebuild tag on it with an ID number from a local company thats big into rebuilding engines and transmissions for heavy duty trucks. So i called up the company and gave them the ID number, the T19 was rebuilt and sold to Penske truck lease in August of 2000. Its going on 14 years since its been rebuilt and being used in a box truck with different drivers who probably beat the crap out of it who knows. The plan is to use it as is and if i do see it has issues then ill pull it and have it rebuilt.

-Chris

A friend of mine replace his good T19 with a T5 and would probably sell the T19

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. If the price of a different T19 in good condition is less than rebuilding this one then i cant really argue with that. Any one know what a 4 speed tranny rebuild goes for? I know theres a lot of variables that play into that figure but im just looking for a ball park, like $500-$1000? Thanks.

-Chris

Best plan IMO for that 4 BT is find the Ford adapter that many of them used and get a Ford ZF 5 speed with a small block bolt pattern. I've used a couple of them and gave one to a buddy who put it behind a 4 BT in a 39 IH ratrod pickup. It worked great and would go scarey fast with 3.50 gears. While the T19 would be tough enough, it is basically a hard shifting old 3 speed. If you had one from a Ford diesel, it would probably have a 4:1 1st. But still no overdrive. The ZF isn't a speed shifter either but is silk compared to a 40s technology T19 truck transmission. Which is worth $0 btw, I had a rebuilt one laying around here for several years and couldn't get $75 for it, finally threw it on a load of scrap iron.

I've never driven a T19 4 speed so I can't speak to it being a hard shifter or not but I do know it's fully synchronized. I already have the ford adapter plate that would mate to a ZF 5 so that's no big deal there. The biggest issue now is that I already have my Advanced Adapter Ranger OD unit. Since I already went through all the hassle and expensive of getting that I'm going to run with it. A '52 diesel powered pickup with twin sticks ranks pretty high on the bad a$$ list for me :D. If I am really dissatisfied with it after driving it for awhile I can always change it up to the ZF 5. I appreciate the comment none the less. Gives me another back up option in case I'm unhappy with this setup.

As for your buddies 4bt 39 IH pickup I'd love to see pics of that?

Thanks again,

-Chris

Latest posts

Back