Found my rear end leak !

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

About 6 years ago I needed a new 9 inch Ford center section for my 27 and my Son Dan also needed one for his rpu. We saw a guy on Ebay who sells 9 inch Track-Loc rears in any ratio and he had a good feedback rating. So we ordered two rear ends, mine is a 4.30 ratio and Dan's is a 4.10.

As soon as I installed mine and put gear oil in the rear, it started to drip out of the front seal. I called the guy and he said to send it back and he would send me a new one, which he did. When he got my first one back he called me and basically chewed me out and said "You overfilled the rear end, that is why it leaked !!" I told him how the hell do you overfill a Ford rear, you just fill it till it dribbles out of the fill hole and that is it ? He was super ****ed and we parted not friends.

For 6 years, the second rear has also leaked out of the same seal, and it would even get all over my garage floor just sitting there. It finally got to the point I just ordered a brand new rear from someone else and installed it.

Tonight I got curious to see if the yoke was maybe worn, causing the leak, so I pulled out the yoke. This is what I found !

Directly across from each other are two deep gouges in the seal surface of the yoke, as if someone took a chisel and put a deep reference mark on it for some reason. The gouges go way into the area that the seal rides on. There are also a lot of deep score marks on the seal area, and this rear probably has only about 2000 miles on it, if that.

The only thing I can think of is that this guy is using badly worn parts to build these rears, and the reason he has good feedback is that people put in the feedback as soon as they get the rear, and before they actually get to use it. That is what I did, and I wish I could go back and put in what I really think of this guy !

So, if you ever are thinking about buying a rear from a guy in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania, who sells mainly on Ebay, remember these pictures.

Don

It probably had a speedy sleeve on it and Mr Idiot cut it off with a zizz wheel. With a new yoke and seal you should be in good shape.

I am always amazed at what some people will try to get away with for a few bucks.:eek:

You are saying exactly what others said on a different forum about the cutoff wheel. That makes perfect sense. I thought it was chisel marks, but the cutoff seems so much more like what I am seeing.

Some day I will buy a new yoke and seal and save this rear for another project.

Don

Probably want to take a good look at the rest of it before you put it in anything again.

But you know that. :D

Latest posts

Back