Ford Tranny Help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darksyde

Been trying to decide how to build up my truck(1941 ford)

Have a 1995 f150 donor with a 351w roller that I'm changing to a carb setup.
Trying now to figure what tranny to use.
The donor tranny is a E4od but is huge and heavy(250+lbs) and will require a controller, I have a used c4 but will need a flexplate and a torque converter for it($$$) and I have no idea what shape its in.

Maybe a junkyard AOD that I can rebuild?

Thoughts?

C4 is a good transmission if you don't need the overdrive of the AOD. C4 will also fit in a smaller space, those AOD's are pretty big around at the bellhousing, a well as the mid section.

The 351 W take a 28 oz. Flex plate. There are two sizes and it depends if you have a large bell or small bell on the trans. the large is a 164 tooth plate and the small is a 157 tooth plate.

Also with the torque converter there is and early and late version. the early is from 1965 -69 and the input shaft has a 24 spline count. The later is from 1970 on up and the spline count on the input shaft is 26 count.

289 and 302s up to mid 1980 also take a 28 oz. flex plate and they will work on the 351 W

The AOD/351 flex plate will work with a pan fill C4 converter since both have the same large converter bolt pattern. The case fill C4 carries a smaller pattern converter. IIRC, the AOD flex plate is 162T, the case fill C4 is the 157T.

Here's the tranny. No I'd tag on it.
C4AP on front of pump housing. 26 splines

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 21
OK 157 tooth bellhousing,, 1970-up c-4 car,, remember the c-6 and c-4 flexplates do not interchange,,c-4 must have a c-4 flexplate,,, plus the sb c-6 only come in the 164t,, Tobby

K got all my parts together.
Now is there a way to check to make sure this tranny works?
The shift lever on the trans is smooth, no notches. I expected it to have some sort of feel for the different gears/reverse/neutral...was expecting some sort of click or something? If not I have a Mustang shifter for a c4, is that enough to position the shift lever?

Cant seem to find Park either...

Trying to understand how this thing works.

Definitely pull the pan! Something is not right, you should feel every notch. Could be the linkage is off inside the case, or like Tobby said, no valve body! When it's in park, it should lock the tailshaft.

I have to wonder... why is the valve body missing? (I'm thinking the trans is SHOT and the guy kept the valve body 'cuz it has a "kit" in it.)

I'd find another trans... preferably a proven runner with its guts intact!

9 bolt c-4,,,, maybe see whats close to you then go from there,,,I could send you a valve body,, but the trans maybe junk anyway... OR??,,, Ill get with you next week,, Tobby

Latest posts

Back