Getting over the hump

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45ramrod

Hey guys right now I'm working on my 45 dodge pickup sub floor frame and I need some ideas on how to get over the hump "transmission " /drive line, or should I just avoid making any bars across and only go parallel with the drive train. Show me what you have done please!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0215.jpg
    DSC_0215.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 1457664522509-571705506.jpg
    1457664522509-571705506.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 36
This is the way I did mine.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 59
  • floormetal.jpg
    floormetal.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 55
This is how I went about mine. Keep in mind body mount locations and seats and seat belt mounts. Check out the build threads section to see how others go about it as well. A lot of talented guys here.

Making those curves is a lot of work, nice job man!

Not very hard in my opinion. I did mine similar to those above. Straight tubing cut slots on one side only and nearly in two and maybe 1/2" to 3/4" apart. Solid side down or up and it bends by hand. Care has to be taken to get the length of the piece right after taking it from straight to curved. You can leave it long and build to fit where the curved piece lays inside the sub frame pieces, tack it, then trim the length flush. The most time will be spent welding the cuts back up but the tubing/hump will be very strong and any shape you want.

Last edited:
Not very hard in my opinion. I did mine similar to those above. Straight tubing cut slots on one side only and nearly in two and maybe 1/2" to 3/4" apart. Solid side down or up and it bends by hand. Care has to be taken to get the length of the piece right after taking it from straight to curved. You can leave it long and build to fit where the curved piece lays inside the sub frame pieces, tack it, then trim the length flush. The most time will be spent welding the cuts back up but the tubing/hump will be very strong and any shape you want.

Exactly what I did. Gave me a lot of time on the welder. Halfway through all the cutting and welding a friend stopped in and informs me has a bender that can bend the tubing:rolleyes: I stubbornly declined use of his "fancy" bending machine as I was going to finish what I started.
I see over in the builds section you already got after it. Looks good and if it works for you then that's all that matters.

Yeah that's how I did the corners of the backbone the sff " sub floor frame", pain in the butt, when I welded it the heat made it bend further than I wanted and I had to make some cuts on the opposite side and weld those to get it just right.

Attachments

• DSC_0231.jpg
    DSC_0231.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 19
Thanks for the help guys this is the end result, I keep trying to keep it geometrically Square that way it would be easier to put the sheet metal on

Attachments

• DSC_0260.jpg
    DSC_0260.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back