Any tricks for pull-a-part trans removal?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipper_1938

He recycles the right way
My daughters 98 Honda Accord (POS to drive before she gets the FJ40) needs a transmission and I'm thinking about trying pull a part. Any suggestions for pulling a trans when you really don't care about the rest of the car? Any idea what a fwd trans weighs?

I haven't worked on a honda trans since 1992. But most front wheel drive cars it is easier to drop the entire front cradle that holds up the engine and trans then remove the trans from it. You can either unbolt the struts from the steering knuckles or at the upper mounts in the fender wells if you are takeing them. If not you can unbolt the ball joint from the lower control arm and pop the axles out fo the trans with a pry bar. You also have to unbolt the upper motor mounts from the frame horns. It is usualy easier to do this first. Make sure you have the engine and trans supported before you take out the bolts for cradle/sub frame. Be carefull.

Any truth to the idea that you only have to pull the passenger side axle? Diver side axle will come loose when the trans is unbolted from the motor?

Last one I remember pulling was a 80's Chrysler. I had to undo both axles IIRC. Want to say I used a floor jack to lower it down. Too many years ago to remember much about it. If you are just going to let it drop, you might put a tire [no rim] under it to soften the blow. They probably weigh 200-300 lbs full of fluid.

Well, I bagged my limit.

I got one from a car that had coolant that looked like chocolate milk...I'm hoping that means it was still going forward when it died. The transmission appears to have been rebuilt at some point. It has a remanufactured torque converter.

I used the pile of temporary spares trick to keep it from crashing to earth. ....and both axles did have to come out.

I also came to the realization that I am no longer 25. It kicked my butt laying on gravel pulling a transmission without a jack.

Attachments

• 20160709_114129.jpg
    20160709_114129.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20160709_133712.jpg
    20160709_133712.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 9
I also came to the realization that I am no longer 25. It kicked my butt laying on gravel pulling a transmission without a jack.

He he he, I told ya those suckers were heavy![ddd

I have never understood the gravel lots in Pull a part. Impossible to use a trans jack unless you had a sheet of plywood or something like that. I doubt they'd let you bring one in. At one time, the one closest to me didn't allow power tools, either. Now guys take in battery operated impacts.

I too am no longer 25 Flipper. Transmissions kick my butt, even on concrete with a jack. I'd rather pull engine and trans at the same time. Hope you got a good one, be bad to have to do it all over again.:eek:

Latest posts

Back