Education please... Engine/Trans/Driveline Angle???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Jimi

I keep reading about mounting the drivetrain at 4-5*. Would someone mind giving me a little education on why?

Is it just to reduce driveline shutter? [S

I am no expert on this but as I understand it the angles are to allow the U-joints to work correctly. If the angle is wrong they will fail quickly. I am sure someone with a better answer will chime in.

Even more important

is the angle is the same front and rear. 4 degrees is optimal. As far as wear goes; if there is no angle, the bearings in the U-joints are static and by not rotating, the needle bearings get pounded. Some foreign cars use rubber joints. Old BMW 2002's come to mind. I seem to remember those were called Guido joints. The drive shafts in those were very level trans to diff. Here's a good book on drive lines http://www.iedls.com/asp/admin/getFile.asp?RID=10&TID=28&FN=PDF

phasing.jpg

Decent read:
Driveline Angles

All of the above information is correct, you just want the U joints to be on an angle so it forces them to constantly change angles as they rotate. Also, a variation of the drawings DR posted can be that the tailshaft on the transmission can be LOWER than the input yoke of the rear end. You just don't want the tailshaft pointing straight at the yoke of the rear.

I use 3 degrees, but anywhere close is acceptable.

Don

Perfect, Thank you!

Just so I understand correctly, on the "Right" illustration, it appears the rear end is level, the engine is level, and the drive line is the only component with the angle in it?

Or is it acceptable to have the engine and rear end slightly tipped, as long as the drive line is no more than 3-5-ish degrees?

Engine angle and pinion angle should be equal and opposite. If the engine is tilted down 3 degrees then the pinion should be tilted up 3 degrees.

Latest posts

Back