Time for another build, 1947 cadillac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My $.02 If you do the full caps then go with a thin white wall so as to not wash out the look of the entire wheel. If you do the poverty caps then do the wide whites but do the rim in a darker shade. Again so as to not wash out the look of the wheel. The 15" wires would not look right at all on this car. Maybe a 17" or 18" wire would but then you would have to play with the wheel openings to make it look right. [P

Well once the car is ready to see how they look I will spin up some wide whites and see how they look with either cap.

Anywho, here are more pictures!

Body going back on the frame with new mount pads and hardware

208.jpg

Mounted the caprice wagon gas tank, initially it looked like the bump in the top was going to clear the trunk floor but no luck. Welded in a factory "bump" from a caprice and made it the spare tire mount as well, so it will not be seen. Spare tire will fit right over it.

211.jpg

218.jpg

floor and trunk floor was sealed with herculiner. Pictures started getting sparse, camera went MIA for awhile.

219.jpg

Did a lot of work with no pics, but here are some. All the work got everything pretty dusty, will have to do a bunch of cleanup later.

Power booster mounted and new hole cut for steering column relocation.

222.jpg

Steering hook up, easiest one I have done. Flaming river joints and a DD shaft, easy!

223.jpg

Engine wiring started. I decided to go "green" with this swap and put all the emissions back on other than the cats. AIR pump, EGR, EVAP, etc. No real impact to performance and this will be a cruiser anyway. Shift linkage also finished at this point.

225.jpg

Moving along but this is all the big stuff, easy to get done and see progress. All the small detail stuff is what seems to take the longest to get done. I set myself an April first deadline so I gotta keep moving, but with the cold weather I have been slacking and only working on it maybe 8 hours a week.

Another update!

Notched radiator support to clear the front rails and steering box. Made some mounts for the support to sit on the rails, I plan on keeping the center facotory mount but this should give some extra support. Nose on the car is huge!

229.jpg

Made up some cardboard templates

231.jpg

Bent up out of metal and tacked in place.

232.jpg

more work but camera was MIA part of the time.

Welded a shelf on the bottom of the radiator support to hold the new radiator and made a mount to hold the top. Radiator is a 3 row champion unit from ebay, I think it was designed for a model A. Dimensions were close enough to the orignal to work and the price is right. Cleaned and painted the radiator support, this picture was in the middle of making the fan mount. I wanted it mounted solid instead of through the cooling fins to eliminate the chance of damage. Mount was made from scrap round bar and flat bar pieces. Fan is a swap meet special Hayden, they are used by many car companies and work great.

234.jpg

installed

235.jpg

236.jpg

started mocking up the nose. Tires on the car now are too low a profile but are ok for now.

237.jpg

Last edited:
Evap canister mounted, nice to have a sealed gas system so no gas smell.

238.jpg

both fenders mounted, starting to mess with radiator hose setup.

239.jpg

aux trans cooler mounted, this is a factory GM part, I get them from 1994-96 9C1 caprices (police, taxi). Nice stacked plate cooler. Original cadillac horns mounted, one works one is for looks.

240.jpg

another update, getting closer but still lots to do

battery tray modified and side mounted on the frame

246_zpsad5b3a3c.jpg

bent up a box to hold the PCM, camera was MIA when I made it

244_zps54b2bc3d.jpg

Lower rad hose done, need to put the overflow tank and PS tank in this spot, so time to make a bracket!

247_zpsaaaa2594.jpg

Great source for heavy flat sheet metal is parts from 60s cars, this was the hood from a 67 cadillac.

248_zpsd8de6c1a.jpg

Bent up the first couple pieces

250_zpsd63eab07.jpg

another source of good steel is frame steel! This was part of the X member from a 55 packard I parted out last year.

251_zps02292b2a.jpg

bracket welded up

252_zpscd219f0e.jpg

painted and installed

255_zpse990ef26.jpg

Been awhile with no update! Car is still progressing, but have to get some pics. Full dual exhaust is in, fuel filler and vent made and in, currently rebuilding the front and rear running and signal lights with new guts. Should have it started this weekend, gotta throw in some coolant, PS fluid, etc. Still a lot to do but should be on track for May 1st to drive it.

few updates..

Almost done under the hood, made a "ram air" :) setup for the air filter, K/N cone filter is inside the factory fresh air duct away from the engine.

262_zps9f0778ae.jpg

inside the duct

263_zps3b38d026.jpg

working on the lights, rebuilt the tail lights with new guts and the reverse light as well, all good to go

261_zpsfe849138.jpg

Man I wish I was in the home stretch, moving along but every time I finish something I have to add something to the punch list. Great thing about these "unfinished" hot rods is they dont have to be finished to drive!

another update..

Headlights and front running lights / turn signals rebuilt

267_zpsc3017bb7.jpg

bracket made up from frame scraps for the "air cleaner"

269_zps81fb70a3.jpg

mounted

271_zpsbe4d192a.jpg

air cleaner mounted. It is the top piece from an original, removed from a 55 packard I parted out last year.

272_zps5c61d72e.jpg

Sweet build!

Question for you on the LT1 + 4L60E combo. How do the mounting point's compare to a traditional carb style SBC + 700R4? It's my understanding the LT1 is a glorified/fuel injected SBC, and the 4L60E is essentially an electronic 700R4... therefor should share identical chassis mounts and locations.

I've acquired a donor for my next build, it's a 1994 Buick Roadmaster with an LT1 and 4L60E, going into a '29 Sedan.

Mounting points are exactly the same for the LT1/4L60E as a traditional side mounted SB chevy with a 700r4.

Latest posts

Back