Time for another build, 1947 cadillac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's always a good feeling to get the electrical all worked out.

I don't think that air cleaner is gonna let the motor breath free enough.

It's always a good feeling to get the electrical all worked out.

I don't think that air cleaner is gonna let the motor breath free enough.

We will see, it is a pretty big K/N filter, similar to what was used on the LT1 camaro cold air kits. Cant see it in the pics but the filter is located in a fresh air enclosure that comes from behind the grille. There is one on each side, they are the inner fenders of the car, pretty big.

Pinion angle set, perches welded, rear painted and installed.

driveshaft made, shortened a chevelle shaft 3/4"

time for whitewalls!

Been awhile without an update, damn is it May already? Car should of been done, details and last items always seem to take too long. First car show I need to drive it to is the 19th so has to be done ahead of then.

Dash sanded and painted

original gauges gutted, replaced with 95 caprice units

Thanks, I also made two speedometers, one digital from 95 caprice parts and one analog from 95 S10 parts. I ended up using the analog unit, digital was cool but didnt match the build.

Darn nice job there....

The anolog is perfect....digital would look like a black hole till it lit up...looks great man...[cl

Thanks, the gauges were not too bad to make, just took some time. I put LEDs in the speedo for the turn signal indicators, high beam, and SES. More to come but I have to get the pics off the camera, pushing hard to get done so some pics didnt get taken. Radio was gutted since I just wanted the buttons for show, going to hook up an ipod jack and amp for the radio. Had some speakers in stock so I hid them inside for stereo. I have a picture of it final mounted but need to get the camera from the shop.

Dash done, had to add aftermarket gauges as well. Clock was gutted and converted to AA battery use, now it will actually work.

Front seat in, cushions are from my 41 buick parts car, the cad units will be rebuilt for future use.

Thanks! Getting near the end of this story! One issue with the car, when I mocked up the steering column the measurements were made with a 15" steering wheel and the factory caddy wheel is 18". I screwed up and didnt put enough angle in the column to use the factory wheel so I decided to make a smaller copy. Still have to get used to the straight wheel without much angle but at least it works now.

Original wheel

Had this junk malibu wheel in stock, small enough to work.

Factory wheel taken apart

Malibu wheel cut up. To take care of two problems I took the center out of the malibu wheel to use since the caddy wheel had the wrong spline count as well as being too big to use.

Getting an idea of what the center will look like in the new wheel and cutting out the plastic where the spokes will attach.

Factory wheel getting gutted

spokes shortened and welded to the malibu center and outer ring. Saved the caddy trim pieces for the spokes

I didnt have any of the "correct" POR 15 putty that seems to be the favored stuff for steering wheels, but I did have some duraglass! What the hell might as well try it.

Looks like it is going to work ok.

still could use more sanding but ok for now

Installed and good to go. Little too "low rider" looking for me but for now it is ok. Car is a sled regardless so maybe the style fits.

On the road! Will have to get more pics, car runs and drives great, super smooth like a caddy should. Will get more pics in a couple days, sunday will be the first big road trip with it.

Latest posts

Back