Mid 50's GM Pick-Up Chassis Swap question?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Jimi

Everywhere I turn, guys are dropping mid-50's reg. cab short box pick-ups onto s-10 chassis. (Save the argument of using an s-10 or a nova front clip. it's irrelevant.)

My question is, I have a 1994 GM B-body, (Caprice/Impala/Roadmaster). Mine is actually the Roadmaster. It has a 116" wheelbase, much like the s-10, or probably even closer to an early 80's GM pick-up.

I purchased the car originally to rip out the drive train, LT1/4L60E/10 bolt rear-end, and use it in a 29 Model A. Well, as it grow's on me, I'm leaning towards finding a 47-55, or maybe even a 55-59 Chev pick-up, leaving my donor chassis intact, and dropping on the pick-up body.

Any suggestions? Any mid-50's gm frame swap guru's out there?[S

(I'm definitely not abandoning my 29... if anything, I'm trying to think further ahead with it.)

The Roadmaster presents a couple issues...

1. Front track width. '47-'54 GM truck is 56 1/2" and '55-'59 is 60 1/2". The Roadmaster's track width is 61.5'' with positive offset wheels like a FWD vehicle. So... it's way too wide for the '47-'54 and a touch too wide for the '55-'59. If you put a "normal" wheel on the Roadmaster with zero or negative offset, the track width increases and the wheel starts to breech the fender opening causing proportion and clearance problems.

2. Frame width. The Roadmaster has a perimeter frame wider than the cab of a '50's truck, a probable mounting issue.

Thanks, thats exactly what I needed to know. I knew the width was close, but the perimeter frame seals the deal.

Time to pull a motor...

mine

''Everywhere I turn, guys are dropping mid-50's reg. cab short box pick-ups onto s-10 chassis. (Save the argument of using an s-10 or a nova front clip. it's irrelevant.)''

Jim, we don,t do that here, everone gets along, which is cool:D

now to answer the Q:

l have a 1977 olds,nova sub-frame in my truck and it drives great.

my friend in the 1990's built 40 or 50 1948 to 1954 chevy trucks for customers using camaro/nova sub-frames and never had a problem, every one who bought or had him modify theirs was happy with them.

l don't see a problem with the S-1O frame if the wheel base and suspension line up, do it.

Later :cool:

Thanks Skull, I agree! The sarcasm and criticism on other forums is a joke!

I've only seen a couple of the s-10 swaps, and they look great. It will likely be my choice when the time comes.

My immediate consideration was using the perimeter frame from the Roadmaster donor car I have right now. Thanks to Crankenstein, it doesn't sound like such a good idea, and would have created more of a headache than it's worth. The scrap price for what I have will be close to covering purchase price of what I need.

Why not cut the road master frame up and make a sub frame out of it? Especially if your going to scrap it.

Cut it behind the engine cradle and build what you need to make it hook up with the original frame.

Just my .02

Track with is too far out. it might work with the 60's truck but the 50's trucks are too narrow.

I didn't do it for a road vehicle but we have narrowed them.

I didn't think about the track width on this one tho.

I almost got excited there for a minute! Cutting off the front clip[;)

The good news is, the drive train is tops with barely 56,000 original grandma miles. I picked it up cheep enough to justify taking what parts I need/want and still coming out WAY money ahead.

Latest posts

Back