First Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee1989

Hello everyone,My name is mike and this is my first project. I just recently acquired this project. I am starting with what i was told is a 32 ford frame, a 12 bolt Chevy rear end( not sure what gears are in it as because i haven't pulled it apart yet ) I have a stroked 305, and a Muncie 4 speed tranny to put behind it. I am planing on building a roadster pick up or possibly going with a roadster flat bed! I haven't quite decided. I have a Bucket body and a 27' plymouth cowl. if i go with a pick up, I have a 55 Chevy pick up bed, which i will go with a little bit longer of a bed than the average Bucket. I hope to learn a lot and hope anyone who reads this can give me tips, pointers and ideas on some common parts used, gears, suspension, etc.
IMG_5742_zpsf6c33676.jpg

IMG_5739_zps22934368.jpg

IMG_5733_zpseb4bcec1.jpg

IMG_5745_zpsc4d06be1.jpg

IMG_5746_zpsa279696e.jpg

I think that would make a real nice roadster pickup!

The frame is not a ford frame though. Ford did not have the parallel front springs instead using a single transverse spring. Someone will come along and identify what it is I'm sure. Could be a Chevy or Dodge.

That said, that frame could be cleaned up real nice. Post lots of pictures!

Looks like a good start! If you can get the axle code off of the passenger side I can try to help ID the rear end for you... I think some of the other guys should be able to help with the frame ID, I am really not sure on the frame..

Thank you, I will pull that number off, also I am relieved that it is not a 32 ford frame due to the rarity of them, I didn't want to be the guy to ruin a gem!

Cool looking project! That's an interesting looking bucket body. :cool:

You might want to try and identify what that 12 bolt came out of, some of them are very desirable and could fetch enough cash to buy a good 9" Ford and have money left over for other stuff. :cool: Just a thought.

[P[P[P

Looks like a good start on a roadster pickup. The frame is a truck frame, probably from a early 40's Chevy. The bed is also from a Chevy.

Looks like a good start on a roadster pickup. The frame is a truck frame, probably from a early 40's Chevy. The bed is also from a Chevy.

It looks like based on the info you gave me, its from a 41-46 Chevy. I appreciate it, now i just need to find some common ways of building the frame to handle what i want and need it too

It looks like based on the info you gave me, its from a 41-46 Chevy. I appreciate it, now i just need to find some common ways of building the frame to handle what i want and need it too

Here's are picture of what I did. I bought a kit from a local company, http://www.cruisinproducts.com/ and modified it to work with my frame. You don't necessarily need to by a kit, I wanted tubing and for the money having someone with experience and a high end tube bender make the parts made the most economical sense. It still needs some welding and the crossmember for the trans, but it should give you some ideas.

Attachments

• CIMG6903.jpg
    CIMG6903.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 44
I spent a few hours working on the Frame today. Mainly getting getting the rust off. Plan to have the rest of the rust removed, and lay some primer down. here is my progress i will post more pictures tomorrow! I laid some primer on the part where i worked today to keep more rust from coming back!

IMG_5753_zpse1a0c98f.jpg

IMG_5749_zps32b1420c.jpg

IMG_5756_zps0f14c177.jpg

IMG_5758_zpse7e50b13.jpg

IMG_5759_zps92bc44e0.jpg

That is a good kit like the many that speedway has. If this is your first build ever you could consider leaf springs also. Cheap, reliable, and easier to mount and you can add and remove leafs to get the desired ride. Just my two cents. good luck with whatever you choose. :cool:

That is a good kit like the many that speedway has. If this is your first build ever you could consider leaf springs also. Cheap, reliable, and easier to mount and you can add and remove leafs to get the desired ride. Just my two cents. good luck with whatever you choose. :cool:

Yes this is my first build ever, i have done work on running and driving projects, but never from the frame up. I will probably just go with leaf springs. i am still learning and dont want to bite off to much. My next project will be a big one!! Thank You,

Yes this is my first build ever, i have done work on running and driving projects, but never from the frame up. I will probably just go with leaf springs. i am still learning and dont want to bite off to much. My next project will be a big one!! Thank You,

How much is too much to bite off??? You have bare frame rails, a shell of a body and a engine... :D

working up to a bigger project is always a good idea because their is always another project to push yourself farther on.

I know i have a lot of parts that are literally just that. but I am doing this to learn more about the whole project, and not just the normal motor rebuilds. but so far I am still working on getting the frame rust free and i am ordering the steel to box my frame and to fab the tranny cross member so i can finish up my chassis. Pictures soon to come

Latest posts

Back