An eye on safety

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05snopro440

Yesterday I was stripping the paint on my snow blower project, using one of these "stripping discs" for the first time.

0541823_1

I was wearing safety glasses and a face shield, and wasn't at it for long but in probably 3/4 of an hour I used up the disc. A few hours later I jumped in the shower, thinking nothing of it. Water ran down my face, I had intense pain, and my eyes started burning. I was in disbelief that this couldn't be from my shampoo, after it settled a bit I realized my eyes were all gritty and that this was likely from dust that was on me from the grinding. I've had objects in my eye before and some mild welder flash and have never experienced eye pain like this, it was quite awful. After a lot of flushing we got it sorted, but today my nostrils are all kinds of irritated too and my eyes are still feeling it.

Be careful when using stuff like that, use a respirator, and carefully wash yourself off after.

The disc itself works great, but please use an abundance of caution when using one yourself. I'll be fine shortly, but don't want anyone else to experience it if they can help it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tech tip, is use those alot!! Never haf this happen but it very easily could!!!!!

Sorry you had to deal with that snopro and thanks for sharing....it'll make us all think twice.

Aside from eye & face protection I find that gloves are a big protector for me, especially when using the cut off wheel on the 4" grinder.

I've used these for a long time and never had an issue but, it only takes once.
Glad you got it cleaned out without a doctor's visit.

They don't call it blood, sweat & tears for nothin'! After a couple times getting metal stuck in my eyes... I *always* wear a face shield now! Guess I better add a face mask too!

BoB

Thanks for the heads up. If you own a compressor , make a habit of taking an air shower before water.

Yeah, I never thought of it, but I have a good blow gun that spreads the air spray out that would be perfect for that purpose.

Thanks for the tech tip, is use those alot!! Never haf this happen but it very easily could!!!!!

Yeah, it was a shock to me, trust me, you don't want to experience it.

Sorry you had to deal with that snopro and thanks for sharing....it'll make us all think twice.

Aside from eye & face protection I find that gloves are a big protector for me, especially when using the cut off wheel on the 4" grinder.

Yeah I always try to use safety equipment but I still struggle with using gloves all the time. I haven't found any yet that have the right feel. My around the yard shoes are steel toes, and I have safety glasses, googles, face shields, different kinds of gloves, chain saw pants and hard hat with shield, welding jacket, coveralls, etc.

They don't call it blood, sweat & tears for nothin'! After a couple times getting metal stuck in my eyes... I *always* wear a face shield now! Guess I better add a face mask too!

BoB

Yeah I recently got one of these masks. It's really good, and I wear safety glasses under it. I guess the takeaway for me is to be careful, even with all the PPE.

61kXdHdvuyL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm pretty lax. Sometimes I put safety glasses on over my regular glasses. They impede my vision though. I wear those cheap brown Jersey gloves mainly for grease and grime protection. But when I see brown tufts of cotton in the air I know my hand is getting too close to the cut off wheel on my angle grinder. A leather welding glove is sometimes used when doing a lot of cutting with the angle grinder, for spark protection. The brown cotton gloves catch fire. I have been known to don a dust mask on rare occasions.

Like the "Street Outlaws" say, "Don't be a dumb butt, like me", or something like that.

Latest posts

Back