Pandemic

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gassersgarage

The California Kid
When the pandemic hit and shut everything down, I hadn't driven my cars except to keep up the batteries. I sold my cars just in case anything happens to me so my wife wouldn't have to go through the pain of selling them. When the Government sent out the first stimulus check, I was pretty well set living comfortably on my pension. I told my wife I really didn't didn't need my check. She said, "You wanna give it to your ex-wife? Call her". I hadn't spoken to my ex-wife since 1988 but I still remember her phone number. My Mom stayed in touch so I knew my ex was all alone. She had been living on disability for years due to a traffic collision and her parents had passed. She had never remarried and was all alone.

I called to ask if she needed anything. She said she was fine so I asked her if she could use the stimulus check. She started to cry. I told her it was only $1200. She said, "But that a lot to me", so I mailed her a check. When the second stimulus came, I just sent her the cash. When my ex called us to thank us for the money, I asked, "What are you driving?". She said, "My car is in the shop. It needs another engine". I asked, "What is it?". She said it's 2001 Ford Focus station wagon. The shop found a used engine out of state and it would cost $3500". I told my wife and she said, "You wanna buy her a car?. Call her". I called my ex and told her, "I'm picking you up on Saturday to look at a car".

I took her to her local Toyota dealer and bought her a Prius will all the bells and whistles. On the test drive, my ex remarked to the salesman, "It's kind of slow". The salesman said, "When you make this right turn, floor it!" My ex was sold. I waited 4 months before asking how she liked her new car. She said she loved it and told everyone what a great car the Prius is. I told her, "At our age, it should be the last car you will ever need (70)".

I traded in my '96 Dodge Ram 2500 for a used 2017 Nissan Frontier with only 15K miles. I've had the Nissan for a year now and only put 2500 miles My wife's 2014 Subaru Impreza Sport is serviced yearly. Her last service was 1000 miles ago. Our mechanic said, "It still looks new underneath".

BTW, both of my wives know each other. We went to College together in 1969.

Quite a story, gg. I admire your compassion and generosity.

But it sounds like you are preparing for "doomsday". I hope that isn't the case.

Last edited:
It's better to have a good relationship with an ex than a bad one.
My wife and I have been married for 51 years come this February 3rd.
I've never been divorced so this is coming from the peanut section.

My ex has always found a way to make a rich guy leave his wife & marry her so I guess I'm in the clear!
[ddd:eek::D

BoB

Yes, 57 years with my first wife this coming April. At times, feels like 157 years. Thinking of putting my wife's name on some dating sites. Maybe she can upgrade. Just kidding.[ddd

Happily I have a great relationship with my exs. All 3 of them! It's been 30+ years since I saw my 1st one. 17 years since number 2. And 25 years since I've seen number 3. I hope they're as happy as I am.[ddd:D

Not exactly how I wanted it to be but that's how it is...

helping someone is always a good thing, so why not the ex...
I don`t have an ex yet... next summer 30yrs of marriage to Mrs Dutch, which feels like 1.. :p never mind :D
I could see me bring her a car or whatever would be needed, although reality is probably her bringing food to an old hoarder living hapily in a shed with his tools :rolleyes:

Same wife for 48 years.... but can't comment much cause I've been not a good boy too many times. I'm on a strict diet these days... Glad she put up with it all and is still here.

36 years for me and Mrs T.
For Mrs T i'm sure it feels more like 360.:eek::)
I've already picked out her next husband for her.:D
You are a good soul gassersgarage.[cl
Torchie

Ive been with my high school sweet heart for 15 years. So now sex's here. I know in an @$$ sometimes hahahaha. I couldnt be married to me!!! My parents are separated and have nothing to do with each each other

I was married at 22 and she was my first girlfriend. She was the first girl who had ever asked me out. I wanted to start a family at 25 but she said we didn't make enough money. I told her, "If I can't have children, I'm going to get a Hot Rod!". I bought a '55 Chevy with a 327, 4 speed and 4:56's. I started cruising Van Nuys Blvd until someone told me about street racing. It was downhill after that. I hung out with my street racing friends every night after work and on weekends. The only time I was home was to eat dinner then leave. After 3 years, my wife decided to leave and I don't blame her. However, at the time, I made more money than she did so I'd buy her whatever she needed and took her out to dinner once a week till 1988 when I met my current wife.

gg, you had a good combination for street racing. You need the deep gear. Just reading your description, I can hear the rpm's, the exhaust and the gears changing in the 4 speed. Yes, those were the days. One friend had 5.38's in his '55 Chevy. I called it an intersection racer.

I married at 22. Now 80, Same woman. Looks a bit different. But so do I.

Latest posts

Back