1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well guys I don't want to lag too long between posts.. I know it makes eman nervous lol

made a little progress this weekend, Made some shims to adjust the doors, something happened between mock up and final assembly and they just were not fitting that well. Still not great but I can live with them now..

Also got the drive shaft in. I am hoping to get it off the jack stands in the next few weeks cause I need to get it on the ground to adjust the rear axle placement. In preparation for that I tidied up the wires under the cab although I didnt wrap them yet. I want to get it outside running on its own to verify all my circuits before wrapping..

I do need to decide what to do about the turn signal situation.. I'm not really to excited about running more lights in the back to make the current switch work, I found one of the 7 wire set ups that 8liter was talking about, but im also not to excited to get rid of my current set up.. I like the look I put together.. dilemmas....

The only place I might be able to live with more lights in the back would be in the bed rolls... but those set ups are kinda pricey.. Although it was mentioned to me that late 60s mopar side markers might work but i cant find any dimensions anywhere.. see attached image anyone have something they can pull a measurement from???

dads been working on cutting apart the old sealed beams and getting those attached to my modern housings, its a much better look with the sealed beam lenses..

thats what i got for now!

oops.. image

Attachments

• mopar side markers.jpg
    mopar side markers.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 16
The thing that Smallfoot mentioned earlier is called a tail light converter, or tail light integrator. You could use one of those, and just keep your lights and t/s switch. You'd just treat your lights as if they were the trailer lights in the diagram. You could wire it under your dash, and the wires to the rear would remain. Easy peasy.

http://www.delcity.net/store/Tailli...=38094426869&gclid=COqUubXuv8QCFQaTfgodBVUADw

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taillight-C...Standard-/161143951214?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Last edited:
Update... Finally somewhere to sit...

Still need to do some finish work on the seats and some wire wheeling... But that will come later... Along with some pads ..

Here's the front mounts... As you can see I have multiple holes for adjusting the angle of the seats...

The rear is mounted through these mountain bike shocks I got for $0.0 A little extra cushion... Not sure they will do anything... If they don't I can always do a solid link in place of them...

Accomplished a few other odds and ends but.. Still chipping away, thanks for sticking with me Guys

Last edited:
Corpo, on your signal light problem, could you put the new switch guts in the old housing, so it would still look old but work right.
I have one of those switches that Smallfoot and 8liter talked about, but I have not installed it yet so can't give you my opinion.
One day I want to put an old beat-up signal light switch in a rat rod, so I have to watch you and learn.

Wow great seats! Fantastic idea on the mountain bike shocks. It will be interesting to see how they work - keep us posted.

Don't know why, but the seats were one of the first parts I made for the truck... Not sure I would do them the same now but I told myself to stop changing things and get it on the road... Make changes later... They are made from 1/4" aluminum... Who would do that???!

Corpo, on your signal light problem, could you put the new switch guts in the old housing, so it would still look old but work right.
I have one of those switches that Smallfoot and 8liter talked about, but I have not installed it yet so can't give you my opinion.
One day I want to put an old beat-up signal light switch in a rat rod, so I have to watch you and learn.

That was on my list of potential solutions...get a new one and stick it in that housing somehow... [S

Looking super.
My soninlaw really like those shocks, but they are on a mt. bike. [cl
I need all the cushion i can get on my back side. :rolleyes:

They have adjustable shocks... But I think they could use a softer shock... We will see ... The truck is on air so hopefully the ride is pretty smooth anyway...

Don't know why, but the seats were one of the first parts I made for the truck... Not sure I would do them the same now but I told myself to stop changing things and get it on the road... Make changes later... They are made from 1/4" aluminum... Who would do that???!

Someone a little more creative than the rest of us? I never thought about it before, but now I can think of a bunch of reasons to do it that way. If they were .062 or .090 aluminum the mounts would need to be a lot more complicated and you'd have to do something about the sharp edges. Your seats probably don't weigh as much as a typical steel frame seat. They have a great look and a lot of structural integrity.

I looked back through your build for the seats. They show up on page 40 or 42 (I already forgot where they were), but just a photo in the cab with no floor. Did you show us how you built them?

DJ3100; I looked back through your build for the seats. They show up on page 40 or 42 (I already forgot where they were) said:
I think I may have done this before even starting the build thread for the truck... The place I use to work at had tons of equipment .. Problem was they treaded the employes like poop

Seats:
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7771

Thanks for including the seat link. It was driving me crazy trying to remember where I saw them. I saw the thread when I was planning to build bomber seats for the F2. I built one out of sheet and riveted it together. Decided Mustang seats were easier and softer. If I was going to do a bomber seat now I'd follow your lead with 1/8 or 3/16 and weld them.

A lot of RRRers will be sad when you finish it - got a follow-up project on the back burner?

Haha... Sad .. You're funny. Not done yet but getting close!!!!!

Nope no project lined up, no where to really store a back burner project... Not sure what I will do next... I like mid to late 30s coupes... I would love to find a 36-37 Chevy / Pontiac 3 window to do a tail dragger... Or maybe a 50s suburban... I saw old iron mention he has a 32 Chevy coupe ... But not sure I will need another wild open wheel car??? But maybe :D

I am accepting donations ;)

Dad sent me this photo yesterday... He went and had the front and rear glass cut

Ran into some issues with the side glass, I recall when I took the doors apart that one of the window tracks/brackets was different but had forgotten about it till now... One is homemade... Not sure it will work starting to look around for a new set, the original looking one is in rough shape

If anyone has any leads on these let me know

I assume this one is correct

Glass looks good and after you fix the window channel you won't have to worry about the search for another. Corpo, I've enjoyed watching your build. Between you and your dad doing things together on this project and the ideas ya'll come up with, everything is turning out great. [cl[cl[cl

Latest posts

Back